[CITASA] Call for Papers: Post-Soviet Internet

Guobin Yang gy2112 at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 10 22:00:15 EST 2009

CALL FOR PAPERS:  POST-SOVIET INTERNET

With this we want to make you aware of a conference, The Etiology and
Ecology of Post-Soviet Communication, which we have planned for the
weekend of May 7-8(-9) 2010 at the Harriman Institute of Columbia, in
New York City.  The focus of the conference will be the development of
the internet in the post-Soviet space, first and foremost Russia,
though comparative work that goes beyond this geographical focus is
also of interest.

We anticipate panels on such questions as:  emergence and evolution of
social networks; patterns of interlinking; the phenomenon of social
contagion in online communications; political clustering in the
blogosphere and beyond; public versus private identities; doublethink,
cynicism, coded language; the emergence of opinion leaders in the
blogosphere; freedom of the press on the internet; forms and degrees
of censorship, online activism/social movements on the internet;
dissenters and political activism; democracy to autocracy in the
Russian internet.

We would welcome one-page abstracts sent to nmc.conference at gmail.com
by February 1, 2010.

The conference culminates a one-year project on New Modes of
Communication at Columbia’s Harriman Institute.  For more information
on the project, please see http://nmc.wikischolars.columbia.edu/

Yours truly,

Eugene Gorny, Florian Toepfl, Catharine Nepomnyashchy, Alan
Timberlake, Guobin Yang

--
Guobin Yang
Associate Professor