[CITASA] blogs, surveillance and stuff

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 21 17:11:25 EDT 2009

1. Ted, I personally am opposed to making student blogs public. Class
discussion should be protected space, IMHO, where students can take risks,
be controversial, without having to worry about the consequences.
(Professors too.) We don't broadcast our lectures.

2. Amused by the ethical lecture from the L-3 Communications guy. Its been
active in the "U.S. led invasion of Iraq" (official Canadian description).
As the start of Wikipedia says:

L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: LLL) is a company that supplies
command, control, communications, intelligence, surveillance and
reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems and products, avionics and ocean products,
training devices and services, instrumentation, space and navigation
products. Its customers include the Department of Defense, Department of
Homeland Security, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, aerospace
contractors and commercial telecommunications and wireless customers.

You can look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-3_Communications

Pause now for quote from the "Werner von Braun" song (Tom Lehrer, I
recall)