[CITASA] blogs, surveillance and stuff

Ted Welser htwiii at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:47:29 EDT 2009

All-

I have found this discussion both valuable and interesting.  Since our
course (this quarter) is about the social implications of technological
change, we are going to use the issues raised in this and the previous
thread as material for our discussion tomorrow. Hopefully one of the
students will chose to write an entry for the blog about it, in which case I
will send a pointer to it.

Regardless, I agree with Barry that some of what we do in class (discussion
especially) should be classified as practice.  I am reminded of my history
in rock climbing instruction, where a key to helping others learn new and
difficult things is often to lower the stakes so that they feel free to try,
to blunder, to make mistakes.  On the other hand, I agree with danah, that
learning and expression in a wider social context are skills that I want to
help foster.   Again, in climbing, it is often helpful to have moments,
creative projects, etc. that are higher stakes, where people can organize
their efforts to achieve more than they expected they could.   One thing
about recreational rock climbing is that participants are free to color
their orientation towards climbing as more or less practice, performance,
play etc.   As an instructor, I often found that it was helpful to
explicitly communicate this meta information, which is a good general lesson
for structuring these electronic assignments.  I think this a big point of
Coye's comment-- that smaller, more private electronic contribution spaces
provide a key role, one that the full public blogging scene does not.

In the context of the class we have used google docs and in class discussion
as more of staging ground, practice area.  Our blog posts are more
occasional contributions, and they are not strictly required, they are one
of several strategies open for participation. But they clearly are higher
stakes situations, but so far students seem positive about the experience.
I guess the punchlines are to both think about what learning goals are being
advanced and to make explicit to the students that different types of
contribution will vary across dimensions of practice, performance and
play.

Interestingly we had a great discussion in class today out our readings on
reputation systems, which I was very happy with.  There was also a
sub-conversation on the etherpad chat log about the humans vrs zombies game
that is kicking off this week and when the ideal time to join the game is.

thanks all for your thoughts,

ted