[CITASA] blogs, surveillance and stuff

Amy Bruckman asb at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 22 12:14:10 EDT 2009

Really interesting conversation!

Andrea Forte's dissertation is an empirical study of exactly this
question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of having students
write for a public site?  A number of papers are at:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~aforte

Email Andrea <aforte at cc.gatech.edu> for a copy of her dissertation,
which goes into it in more depth.

The short summary is: danah and Barry are, of course, both right. :-)

Students do need a safe space to make mistakes and not have a homework
they did as a sophomore be part of their 'permanent record.'  (Good gosh
I'm glad my freshman attempts at fiction writing are not currently
lurking somewhere in archive.org!)

On the other hand, writing for a real audience can help students think
about notions of audience and argumentation in much deeper ways.  Who am
I writing for?  What kinds of sources will they believe, and what kinds
will they dismiss? It's a powerful learning approach, if handled right.

Ultimately, having researched this for several years, my conclusion is
that you shouldn't do it all the time, but when appropriate it's a
potentially powerful approach. But students need lots of explicit
training in what it means to write online, what the risks are, and how
to actively manage their online self presentation.

Andrea is home now playing New Mom, but will be starting as an Assistant
Professor at Drexel this spring.

-- Amy