[CITASA] Twitter list for sociologists

Liz nwjerseyliz at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 13:47:17 EDT 2009

I've been trying to connect with other sociologists on Twitter without much success. I've found many academics keep their social networks small & limited to people they know off-line, mainly other faculty, students, friends and relatives. Most just don't follow many people back.

I'm in the Beta test group (5% of users) who are trying out the new list feature on Twitter. If you haven't heard of it, it's a way for other people to follow a stream of conversation from a user-defined group of people (say, "journalists", "music", "sports", or "developers") without actually "following" the individuals or expecting to be followed back in return. So, for example, instead of following every newspaper & news organization, you could have a "News" list that includes all of the feeds on to Twitter & scan the list of messages to find out the latest news (instead of actually receiving all of those messages in your feed).

I wanted to put together a list of sociologists & sociology resources (federal agencies, RSS feeds, book publishers, Sociology Depts.) on Twitter but quickly found when you do a biography search for "sociology" (or "anthropology"), you end up with a lot of social media people who have appropriated the title but have no academic training in the field. So, that proved to be an unsuccessful tactic to locating people to add to the list.

So, I'd like to put out a call for folks to either contact me via email or Twitter & give me your username if you'd like to be included or if you know of other sociologists on Twitter. In New York City tech & media circles, I've found there is a lot of interest in what sociologists have to say about developing technology & media but an unfamiliarity with the most of the scholars working in the field.

So far, I have 83 users (people or groups) on the list. Because I found many academics who are working on social aspects of technology are in new media studies or cyberstudies, I changed the name of the list from Sociologists to Social Research to reflect that it's now interdisciplinary.

I don't know how much people will rely on these lists once they go system-wide but I thought it would be good to amplify the presence of scholars on Twitter and let other people participate in the conversations that occur in that forum.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions!

Liz Pullen
nwjerseyliz at yahoo.com
@nwjerseyliz