[CITASA] Fwd: CFP: SSHA Conference

gustavo gustavo at soc.haifa.ac.il
Mon Jan 25 12:14:33 EST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: CFP: SSHA Conference
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:09:42 -0600
From: Jennifer Lena <jennifer.c.lena at vanderbilt.edu>
To: citasa-owner at citasa.org

I am hoping to distribute this CFP to members of the section, perhaps
over the list serv and also on the "announcements" page of our web
page. I would appreciate your help with this.
Thank you,
Jennifer Lena

******
35th Annual Meeting of the Social Science History Association
Chicago, Illinois, 18-21 November, 2010
Submission deadline: 15 February, 2010
Power and Politics

Dear Colleagues,

	We invite you to take part in the Culture panels of the 54th annual
meeting of the Social Science History Association, November 18-21,
2010 in Chicago.  For more information on the meeting as well as the
call for proposals, please refer to the SSHA website: www.ssha.org.
The deadline for paper and/or panel submissions is February 15, 2010.

	The members of the Social Science History Association share a common
interest in interdisciplinary and systematic approaches to historical
research, and many of us find the SSHA one of the most stimulating
conferences that we attend. The thematic topic of the 2010 annual
meeting is “Power and Politics” – a theme that works very well with
the research interests of many of the scholars involved in the Culture
network and should be relevant to CITSA scholars as well. The 2009
program included culture panels on the following topics: agency in
culture; the sociology of cities; play and games; epidemics in the
media; questions of citizenship in troubled states; ritual, dreams and
agency; the politics of memory; love and marriage in migration;
cultural organizations and fields; constructing commonwealths in the
16th century; amateurs, experts and the production of knowledge; and
many others.

	While we welcome panels and papers on any topic of interest to
scholars of Culture and History, we are particularly soliciting papers
on the following themes, drawn from member suggestions:

•    The "Chicago Schools" and Regimes of Power
•    Culture and Colonization
•    The Culture of Intimacy
•    Hegemony and Mass Media
•    Popular Culture and Popular Social Theory
•    Culture in the Marketplace
•    Struggles over Classification

	I expect many CITSA scholars are working within these thematic areas,
and we would particularly like to encourage you to submit papers.
Members of this section might be interested to know that we are
planning an Author Meets Critics session for Chandra Mukerji's new
book, "Impossible Engineering." I hope this will encourage more
scholars of communications and technology to join us in Chicago.

	The Culture network will be able to host at least six panels in 2010
and will also be able to place additional papers through co-
sponsorship with other networks (for example, with History/Methods,
Race, Urban, Politics, Macro-Historical change, State-Society,
Historical Geography).
	SSHA requests that submissions be made by means of its web conference
management system. Paper title, brief abstract, and contact
information should be submitted on the site www.ssha.org, where the
general SSHA 2010 call for papers is also available.  (If you haven’t
used the system previously you will need to create an account, which
is a very simple process.)  Here is the direct link for submissions:
http://conference.ssha.org/
. The online system is now accepting submissions. If you have any
questions, please contact any of the Culture co-chairs (Jennifer Lena,
Fred Wherry, Leah Gordon).

NOTE: There is an SSHA rule concerning book sessions.  For a book
session to proceed, the author (or at least one of multiple authors)
MUST be present.  Proposals for book sessions should only be submitted
if there is high confidence that the author will be able to travel to
Chicago November 18-21, 2010.

	SSHA has set up a mechanism for networks to share papers, so even if
you have a solo paper, send the idea along.  It is
possible and useful to identify a paper not only by the Culture
network, but also by some other co-sponsoring networks.  Co-sponsored
panels and papers are encouraged by the SSHA Program Committee as a
means of broadening the visibility of the various networks.

	Please use the SSHA submission site – http://conference.ssha.org/