[CITASA] seeking suggestions about research methodology for online forums

el don eldon at gol.com
Tue Mar 2 01:49:53 EST 2010

a late entry but perhaps of interest.

as a linguist studying written interaction, i found sandra harrison's
work to be readable and relevant. our focus is not so much on
automatic data mining, but on what goes on in groups where
interaction occurs via language (and other modalities at times). one
of her papers outlines an approach that can be used to represent both
the posts in chronological order and who posted them ... it's a
simple framework (lots of manual labour i'm afraid), but it works
very well to show in summary what has been going on in long
multi-party discussions.

it's in a collection looking at communities of practice:
Harrison, S. (2003) "Computer-mediated interaction: Using discourse
maps to represent multi-party, multi-topic asynchronous discussions"
in Sarangi, S. & T. van Leeuwen: Applied Linguistics and Communities
of Practice.

the book can be viewed via google books, and most of the chapter can
be read online.

best,
alex

--