[CITASA] CFP (fwd)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Nov 4 17:26:21 EST 2012

fyi

   University of Toronto  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4   twitter:@barrywellman
   MIT Press         http://amzn.to/zXZg39         Print $19; Kindle $16
   Old/newCybertimes  http://bit.ly/c8N9V8  It's still rock & roll to me

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 22:01:26 +0000
From: "Casper, Monica J - (mjcasper)" <mjcasper at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
To: SKAT-ANNOUNCE at LISTSERV.ASANET.ORG
Subject: CFP

CALL FOR CONFERENCE ABSTRACTS
Deadline: November 5, 2012

Speculative Visions of Race, Technology, Science, & Survival
Conference Date: March 15-16, 2013
UC Berkeley * Center for Race & Gender

What will survival entail in near and far futures? In light of racialized violence and social control, massive technological innovation, and rapid transformations in science and biomedicine, this conference will engage the imperative to imagine, study, prepare for, and articulate future human life. We are interested in how science and technology shape the material and epistemological boundaries of existence, specifically how and whose existence is valued, policed, corporealized, and corporatized. We will also explore the capacity of embodied subjects to navigate these boundaries in the context of dis/abled, gendered, sex/uality, and queer formations. Recognizing that technology creates kinds of futures (both anticipated and unforeseen), this conference will create a space to analyze how technologies of the past and present contextualize and disclose future realities, and identify opportunities for creating new possibilities.

We envision a limited number of presentations in order to allow enough time for generative dialogue and crafting of questions for future research and development. This conference will be multi/interdisciplinary and multimedia.

We invite conference abstracts. Examples of conference themes include race in the context of:

* gender & sexual transformations and horizons

* biotechnological interventions (including reproductive technologies) & genetic justice

* environmental transformation & population displacement

* Afrofuturisms, Indigenous visions, and alternative futurist metaphysics and spacescapes

* de/construction of the human and non-human: cyborgisms, borderlands, assemblage, species relations, alien life

* singularities and artificial intelligence

* bio-surveillance, fatal inventions, and capitalism

* disability/disabled imaginaries

* medical experimentation, living laboratories, mission creep

* cryogenics, radical life extension, and the politics of medicine, aging, and existence

* militarism, occupations, and final frontiers

* speculative & science fiction: novels, film, music, performance, etc, e.g. Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, Octavia Butler, Sherman Alexie, Samuel Delany, AI, The Brother From Another Planet, Sun Ra, etc.

Please send the following to specvisions at gmail.com by November 5, 2012:

1) name & affiliation
2) presentation title and abstract (~500 words)
3) brief bio
4) contact info (address, e-mail, phone, fax)

More details: http://crg.berkeley.edu/content/speculative-visions-call

**************************************
Monica J. Casper, Ph.D.
Department Head, Gender and Women's Studies
Professor, Gender and Women's Studies
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
University of Arizona
110 GWS, 925 N. Tyndall Avenue
PO Box 210438
Tucson, AZ  85721-0438