[CITASA] Job Ad for CMU HCII (fwd)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 17 17:46:22 EDT 2012

good gig

   MIT Press         http://amzn.to/zXZg39         Print $19; Kindle $16
   Old/newCybertimes  http://bit.ly/c8N9V8  It's still rock & roll to me

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:37:25 -0400
From: Jason Hong <jasonh at cs.cmu.edu>
To: wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Subject: Job Ad for CMU HCII

Hi Barry,

I mentioned to you previously that I'd send a job ad
for our department, please see below. Also, please feel
free to share widely with others.

As you already know, our department is unusual in that it
combines computer science, behavioral and social psychology,
as well as interaction design. We are also broadly interested
in all aspects of research that involve people and computers.

------------

The Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University
<http://www.hcii.cmu.edu/> prides itself on its record of innovative
development and understanding of technology to better the condition of
individuals and society. We seek more than one new faculty member who will
continue and broaden this tradition, through a program of cutting-edge research
into the theory, substance, methods, and/or applications of HCI. Applicants are
welcome from the diverse backgrounds that will further our goal. What is
required is a strong record of research and teaching and the desire to work
with our eminent faculty toward the HCII's goals. We expect to hire at the
assistant professor level but will consider more senior candidates as well.
In addition to the positions described above, we are also searching for a
faculty member to hold a dual appointment between the HCII and Carnegie
Mellon?s Entertainment Technology Center. The ETC (http://www.etc.cmu.edu/
founded by Randy Pausch and Don Marinelli in 1998 as a joint program between
the College of Fine Arts and the School of Computer Science) is focused on
interactive entertainment across a variety of fields with the goal of designing
experiences that educate, engage and inspire. Together, we seek a faculty
member with a strong record of research, development and teaching in
transformational games for social and educational impact. The successful
candidate for this faculty position will hold a joint appointment at the HCII
and the ETC.
The application process: Applications must be in PDF format and include (1)
curriculum vitae, (2) research and teaching interest statements, (3) 1-3
representative papers, and (4) the names and email addresses of three or more
individuals who have been asked to provide letters of reference. In addition,
applicants should arrange for reference letters to be sent directly to the
Faculty Search Committee at <hcii-faculty-search2012 at cs.cmu.edu>. The Search
Committee will not directly request letters. Please reference the HCII in your
cover letter for the general position, and HCII/ETC for the joint position.
Applications and references should be submitted via email to:
<hcii-faculty-search2012 at cs.cmu.edu>. Incomplete applications will not be
processed. Applications should indicate citizenship and, for non-US citizens,
current visa status. The HCII will begin reviewing applications on November
1st, 2012.

Carnegie Mellon University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer
committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications
from women, minorities, and other under-represented groups. CMU is responsive
to the needs of dual career couples and is dedicated to work-life balance
through an array of family-friendly policies.

--
Jason I. Hong                    Associate Professor
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jasonh    Human Computer Interaction Institute