[CITASA] Reasons to get an early start...

Gina Neff gneff at uw.edu
Sun Aug 4 11:49:21 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I want to point out a couple of things. Dan Ryan has made a very useful list of CITASA & CITASA-like sessions including work on media and communication that is happening across ASA. More and more the work that we are doing here is being infused across topical areas in the association as a whole.
http://djjr-lib.net/d3/ASA2013/

I also want to point out that one way to get more media and communication stand-alone sessions is to propose thematic sessions. These need to be submitted *21* months in advance. The deadline for proposals for the 2015 ASA in Chicago will be this November. Another way is propose Author-Meets-Critics sessions or Workshops/Courses. These will be due in February 2014 for the 2015 meetings, and any member can propose these sessions. The work we've been doing in our section is emerging as hot in the field as a whole and our members have a lot of methodological and theoretical contributions to make to the discipline. That's one good reason to get an early start on planning for 2015 in Chicago and 2016 in Seattle!

The CITASA council has worked hard to make sure that we get "extra" sessions through these mechanisms. This year, for instance, we're co-sponsoring a session on "Social Media and Social Inequality" as part of this year's theme on inequality and features Duncan Watts, of Microsoft Research and author of Everything is Obvious and Six Degrees; Lee Rainie, the Director of the Pew Internet and American Life Project and co-author of Networked; Dawn Nafus, an anthropologist at Intel who has just written an ethnography of the Quantified Self movement<http://http://quantifiedself.com/2013/04/quantified-self-ethnography/>; and Mary Gray, a researcher at Microsoft Research, professor at Indiana University and author of Out in the Country. The session will be 8:30 on Sunday, another good reason to get an early start on your day.

I'm happy to share my experience organizing a theme session with others, especially if it helps multiply the number of interesting media and communication sessions that we have at ASA!

Safe travels!

Best,
Gina

Dr. Gina Neff