[CITASA] Kakuko Miyata (fwd)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 27 18:22:41 EST 2013

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 18:20:40 -0500
From: Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>
To: communication and information technology section asa
     <citasa at list.citasa.org>, social networks list <socnet at lists.ufl.edu>
Cc: Jeffrey Boase <jeffrey.boase at ryerson.ca>, Anabel Quan-Haase <aquan at uwo.ca>,
     "Haythornthwaite, Caroline" <c.haythorn at ubc.ca>,
     Vincent Chua <socckhv at nus.edu.sg>,
     Keith Hampton <keith.hampton at mysocialnetwork.net>,
     wenhong chen <wenhong_chen at mail.utexas.edu>,
     bonnie erickson <ericson at chass.utoronto.ca>,
     Alexandra Marin <alexandra.marin at gmail.com>
Subject: Kakuko Miyata

Many CITASA and SOCNET folks have met Prof Kakuko Miyata (Meiji Kakuin
University) over the years.

I deeply regret that she died yesterday after a long bout with cancer.
We knew it was coming, but still is a shock.

Miyata-sensei was an early social network analyst in Japan and probably the
first to study the internet and society, with an article in
Haythornthwaite-Wellman, The Internet in Everyday Life.

She also collaborated with many NetLabbers a decade ago:

Barry Wellman, Anabel Quan-Haase, Jeffrey Boase, Wenhong Chen, Keith Hampton,
Isabel Diaz de Isla and Kakuko Miyata. 2003. "The Social Affordances of the
Internet for Networked Individualism." Journal of Computer Mediated
Communication 8, 3 (April): http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol8/issue3/wellman.html

Prof Miyata spent a fair amount of time in North America, based at the Centre
for Urban and Community Studies, University of Toronto, between 2002 and 2005.
She also was a wonderful host to me, Bev Wellman, Bonnie Erickson and Jeff
Boase.

She and her students were currently writing an article for the special issue on
Social Networks of East Asia of the American Behavioral Scientist. I hope that
they will finish it as a memorial to her.

In addition to her achivements, we will remember Kakuko for the depth of her
character, her wonderful smile, and her wisdom. In all senses, she was one of
the loveliest persons I have ever met.

We all LOVED Kakuko. And will never forget her.

She leaves behind her daughter Maki Ikeda, finishing her doctorate in social
psychology, and her long time spouse, political scientist Ken'ichi Ikeda

   NetLab                        FRSC                      INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $20  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8