[CITASA] August Workshops for Sociologists

Jessie Daniels jdaniels at hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Jun 17 23:40:48 EDT 2013

Greetings ~

Below is a notice about a series of workshops in August, just before the
annual meetings, specifically designed for sociologists who want to share
their research with wider audiences.

While the people on this list may be well beyond the workshops on blogging,
twitter and analytics, you may be interested in workshops about how to
place an op-ed with major news outlets and how to be interviewed on camera.
I hope you'll consider attending, and of course, please share widely with
your networks.

See you in August!

Best,
~ Jessie

* * *
Jessie Daniels, PhD
Mellon Fellow, 2012-2013
Professor
CUNY Graduate Center
Public Health, Sociology, Environmental Psychology
and
Hunter College, Public Health
Office:
Graduate Center
365 Fifth Ave., #3302
New York, NY 10016
* * *
http:// <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jessiedaniels>
www.gc.cuny.edu/justpublics365*

*

* * *

JustPublics at 365 MediaCamp

Media & Digital Media Skills Workshops for Sociologists

CUNY J-School

219 W. 40th Street, New York, NY

MediaCamp Workshops are skills-building sessions for intellectuals who want
to combine research and digital media for the public good. These workshops
are free for faculty, staff, and graduate students who seek to enrich their
digital media skills.

On August 8-9, just before the annual meetings in New York City, there are
two days of workshops designed especially for sociologists who want to
share their research with wider audiences.

MediaCamp is made possible by a partnership between JustPublics at 365, the
CUNY Graduate Center and the CUNY J-School. MediaCamp is sponsored by the
Ford Foundation.

The workshops include:

- Op-Ed Pieces and Pitches: Framing Research for Public Audiences

- Twitter: Social Media Practicum

- Blogging: Social Media Practicum
- Smart Photos with Smart Phones

- Data Visualization: Making Sense of the Numbers

- Being interview on Camera: Big Media for Academics

Register here:
<http://justpublics365.commons.gc.cuny.edu/august-mediacamp-workshops/>
http://justpublics365.commons.gc.cuny.edu/august-mediacamp-workshops/

There is no limit to the number of workshops you can take. However, we
expect these workshops to fill up quickly, so please sign up soon.

Praise for previous MediaCamp workshops:

“After attending a MediaCamp workshop, I ended up publishing some of my
research on women taxi drivers in American Prospect magazine. The editors
were so excited that they ran three of my stories on immigrant workers as
part of a series. And, the things I learned at the workshop came in very
handy last week when, following the death of Hugo Chavez (about whom I’ve
written), I found myself beseiged by media requests, including many
international and local tv stations, and an interview on MSNBC with Chris
Hayes. I used the workshop notes to prepare for my appearance on television
and it helped calm my nerves and make me feel more confident.”

- Sujatha Fernandes, Associate Professor, Sociology, Queens College and the
Graduate Center