[CITASA] The nominees are in! Career Achievement Award

Andrea H. Tapia atapia at ist.psu.edu
Thu Mar 7 13:05:16 EST 2013

Hello CITASA-ers.
The nominees are in!

We ask for your help once again. We have 13 amazing nominees (see the list below). We now need some letters of support for each of these candidates.

A letter of support can be something formal, or a simple emailed paragraph. We’ll take them all.

If you were the original nominator, I hope you’ll send a letter. If you are just moved by how awesome someone is on this list and would like to see them get the award, I also hope you’ll send a letter.

DEADLINE: Friday, March 22nd.

THE AWARD
The CITASA William F. Ogburn Career Achievement Award recognizes a sustained body of research that has provided an outstanding contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the area of sociology of communications or the sociology of information technology.

THE NOMINEES (alpha order)
Stephen Barley
(Richard W. Weiland Professor of Management Science and Engineering, the Associate Chair of the Department of Management Science and Engineering, and the Co- Director of the Center for Work, Technology and Organization at Stanford’s School of Engineering.)
Noshir Contractor
(Professor of Behavioral Science at Northwestern University. Director of Sonic Lab and Web Science Trust.)
Shelia Cotton
(Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Alabama, Birmingham)
David Heise
(Rudy Professor of Sociology Emeritus at Indiana University.)
Robert Horwitz
(Professor, Thurgood Marshall College, UC San Diego)
Gary T. Marx
(Professor Emeritus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
Wanda Orlikowski
(Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Information Technologies and Organization Studies at the MIT Sloan School of Management.)
Ron Rice
(Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication, Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center, UC Santa Barbara)
Saskia Sassen
(Robert S. Lynd Professor of Sociology at Columbia University and Centennial visiting Professor at the London School of Economics.)
Michael Schudson
(Professor, Journalism School at Columbia University.)
David Stark
(Arthur Lehman Professor of Sociology and International Affairs at Columbia University , Director Center on Organizational Innovation)
T. L. Taylor
(Associate Professor in Comparative Media Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Social Media group at Microsoft Research New England.)
Judy Wajcman
(Professor of Sociology at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Past recipients:
2012—Ron Anderson, University of Minnesota
2011 - James E. Katz, Rutgers University
2010 - John Robinson, University of Maryland
2009 - Elihu Katz,  from Annenberg School of Communication and the Hebrew University
2008 - William Sims Bainbridge, National Science Foundation
2007 - David Lyon, Queen's University
2006 - Manuel Castells, University of Southern California
2004 - Barry Wellman, University of Toronto
2003 - Caroline Hodges Persell, New York University

Committee:
Chair: Andrea H. Tapia, atapia at ist.psu.edu<mailto:atapia at ist.psu.edu>
Members: Barry Wellman, wellman at chass.utoronto.ca<mailto:wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>; Ron Anderson, rea at umn.edu<mailto:rea at umn.edu>