[CITASA] Join the Northwestern University Ph.D. Program in Media, Technology and Society!

Angela Leone angelaleone2017 at u.northwestern.edu
Fri Oct 18 15:18:17 EDT 2013

*The Graduate School at Northwestern University is seeking exceptional
applicants to join the Ph.D. program in Media, Technology and Society (MTS)
to start in Fall 2014.*

The Media, Technology, and Society (MTS) doctoral program is an innovative,
interdisciplinary, and flexible curriculum focusing on the dynamic media
and technology environment and its impact. The program encourages students
to pursue their passion by designing individualized programs of study that
incorporate relevant classes from across Northwestern University. The
program faculty are internationally renowned for their research in areas
such as:

   -

   Children’s development
   -

   Digital media use and effects
   -

   Health and well-being
   -

   Human-computer interaction
   -

   Innovation and change
   -

   Media institutions
   -

   Networks and organizing
   -

   Social media

The MTS faculty undertake research in these areas using a wide array of
traditional and innovative research methods. In addition, they actively
pursue opportunities to make positive economic, cultural, and social impact
through their research in businesses, nonprofit, and government agencies.

MTS is a vibrant and growing program at Northwestern. Six new professors
--Jeremy Birnholtz, Aymar Jean Christian, Amy Shirong Lu, Anne Marie Piper,
Aaron Shaw and Michelle Shumate-- have joined our core
faculty<http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/programs/phd_media_technology_society/faculty.php>a
year ago, which also includes Pablo J. Boczkowski, Noshir Contractor,
James Ettema, Darren Gergle, Wendy Griswold, Eszter Hargittai, Paul
Leonardi, Jennifer Light, Barbara O’Keefe, Daniel O’Keefe, Janice Radway,
James Schwoch, Ellen Wartella, James Webster, and D. Charles Whitney.

In addition, our highly active student
body<http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/programs/phd_media_technology_society/students.php>hosts
InfoSocial <http://comm.soc.northwestern.edu/mts-conference/>, an annual
international conference for graduate student scholarship in the area of
media, technology and society.

As we continue to grow, we seek to recruit students from a variety of
backgrounds in social and behavioral sciences, human-computer interaction,
humanities, and historical and cultural studies. We are particularly
interested in students who can thrive within an interdisciplinary
environment, and bring to their graduate education a passion for research
and innovation.

Deadline for application to the next academic year is December 1st, 2013.
For more details on the program, faculty, and admissions requirements see:
http://mts.northwestern.edu

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the program
director, Pablo J. Boczkowski <pjb9 at northwestern.edu>.

--
Angela C. Leone
Graduate Student, Northwestern University
angelaleone2017 at u.northwestern.edu