[CITASA] Tenure Track position in Sociology at Bowdoin College

Earl, Jennifer Suzanne - (jenniferearl) jenniferearl at email.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 6 11:05:24 EDT 2014

The Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Bowdoin College seeks applications for a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor in Sociology beginning fall 2015. The successful candidate will demonstrate a promise of successful scholarly engagement and a strong commitment to teaching. Particular attention will be given to candidates whose research focuses on either Urban Sociology or Sociology of Culture (popular culture, new media and/or consumption). The teaching load is two courses per semester, including courses in the candidate's area of specialization and contributions to the Department rotation in Introduction to Sociology and either Introduction to Social Research or Classics of Sociological Theory. Applicants who can offer interdisciplinary perspectives or connections to other departments or programs on campus are desired. Ph.D. prior to appointment preferred; advanced ABDs considered.

A highly selective liberal arts college on the Maine coast with a diverse student body made up of 31% students of color, 5% international students and approximately 15% first generation college students, Bowdoin College is committed to equality and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural, socio-economic, and ethnic diversity of our college. Bowdoin College does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment, or in our education programs. For more information about Bowdoin and the department, see http://www.bowdoin.edu/socanthro/

Bowdoin College offers strong support for faculty research and teaching. We recognize that recruiting and retaining faculty may involve considerations of spouses and domestic partners. To that end, where possible, the College will attempt to accommodate and respond creatively to the needs of spouses and partners of members of the faculty.

Please visit https:/careers.bowdoin.edu to submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, a statement of research plans, a statement of teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information for three references who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation. Review of applications will begin October 1, 2014.