[CITASA] are you teaching "It's Complicated"?

Gina Neff gneff at uw.edu
Mon Aug 11 03:21:32 EDT 2014

Replying to the whole list on this one: I've noticed quite a bit of push-back recently on buying monographs. For years, I've had an informal policy of assigning at least one monograph for each of my large undergraduate courses (and many of you have been the beneficiaries of this). But a recent experience with an "instructional designer" for an online course left me a bit sour - she said that students are not buying even inexpensive monographs for the online courses and balk at paying Amazon, itunes etc for a copy of a movie. Overall course material costs have plummeted - students no longer pay for course packs. But still I'm feeling a weird pressure to keep the monetary cost at zero. Anybody else?

Gina

Dr. Gina Neff
Associate Professor, Department of Communication
University  of Washington

Senior Fellow, Institute for Advanced Study
Central European University

Twitter: @ginasue
http://ginaneff.com/

Author, Venture Labor: Work and the Burden of Risk in Innovative Industries<http://www.amazon.com/Venture-Labor-Innovative-Industries-Technology/dp/0262017482>