[CITASA] are you teaching "It's Complicated"?

Lilly Irani lilly.irani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 12:52:54 EDT 2014

My experience has been a bit different. I first encountered the
no-monograph idea in graduate school. The professor explained that she had
chosen only journal readings (in a humanities, feminist department) as a
matter of economic accessibility in a time when public school tuition keeps
climbing.

However, in teaching an undergrad class, I assigned two monographs with
reading responses and students did seem to a fair bit of the reading. (In a
previous class, though, a student complained that I didn't have an
assignment that forced him to do the reading so he wasn't reading. He
*wanted* me to force him to read. Blew my mind.) Informally, I've heard
students say that they find monographs easier to read that journal articles
because they often tell stories more accessibly.

Lilly Irani
University of California, San Diego
Department of Communication
*https://quote.ucsd.edu/lirani/ <https://quote.ucsd.edu/lirani/>*