[CITASA] are you teaching "It's Complicated"?

Alice Robbin arobbin at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 11 13:19:24 EDT 2014

I agree, Mary. I have found that without homework assignments and/or
tests that require reading, whether monographs or journal articles, the
  majority of the students are not reading. And the reading that is
done is specifically to respond to a particular assignment or a test
that covers A through C... I am finding that reduced requirements in
courses taken earlier in the program are having an effect on whether
students read or don't read. Every year I reduce the required readings
because I know students view anything more than 30 pages as too much,
and even 30 pages a week seems to be too much. This is all, of course,
a generalization: There are still students who read everything and more
(e.g., recommended readings).

All the best,
Alice