[CITASA] are you teaching "It's Complicated"?

Schoonmaker, Sara Sara_Schoonmaker at redlands.edu
Mon Aug 11 19:12:00 EDT 2014

I'm also enjoying this conversation.

Like Sheila and David, I find that students read when books are pertinent to their lives and to understanding the larger social world. (I believe danah's book falls into this category.) They sometimes email me years later to ask about the title of a book because they want to reread it or recommend it to a friend. Of course, there are many who don't read, but sometimes they are prompted to read after an interesting class discussion or as part of an assignment.

One strategy that has worked to get them reading more is to require each student to do a discussion prompt over the course of the semester. They each sign up for a day when they will bring in a question based on that day's reading. They often get more engaged in discussing questions raised by their peers – although sometimes I need to help frame the questions or relate them to larger themes to get the discussion going.

I usually have several essay assignments where students integrate ideas from the course readings with some fieldwork observations or interviews that they do outside of class. Asking them to apply the ideas to understand different situations or examples helps them to learn the material more deeply. In the social theory class where the readings are denser, I also include short assignments where they explain key ideas from the theories as part of a larger process where they eventually construct their own theory.

Articles and books both are valuable. I agree that articles or selected chapters from books can give more of an overview of the field. But it's also important for students to grapple with more extended arguments, which is really only possible by reading whole books.

In intro, I assign a series of desocialization exploriments where students break a social norm and observe the ways that they and others respond. That creates a buzz and gets them much more involved in noticing the connections between society and self on an experiential level, as well as an analytical one.

All best,

Sara

Sara Schoonmaker, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
University of Redlands
Redlands, CA USA 92373
(909) 748-8712