[CITASA] are you teaching "It's Complicated"?

Rebecca Adams r_adams at uncg.edu
Tue Aug 12 12:37:57 EDT 2014

This posting reminded me of something I used to do when I first started
using Blackboard.  I was teaching a freshman seminar on the Deadhead
community (main purpose to teach writing).  One of the assignments was for
them to attend a cover band performance early in the semester.  They went
to a  DSO concert and came back wanting to exchange email with the band
about cover bands.  I contacted the band and the key board player (an
ex-high school history) teacher agreed to participate in a threaded
discussion on Blackboard.  He was an excellent discussion leader.  After
that one of the STUDENTS asked if I could get the authors who contributed
to my co-edited book on Deadheads to “visit” as well, and I did.  The
students posted questions to Blackboard and the authors answered them. The
students read EVERYTHING. I did this in other classes on standard topics
and it worked there as well. Now of course it would be Skype.  I am glad
for being reminded that I used to use this technique. I will work Skype
visits into the next syllabus I develop.

Rebecca G. Adams

Professor and Gerontology Program Director

212A Ferguson Building

P.O. Box 26170

University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Greensboro, NC 27402-6170

Voice: 336-334-3578

Email:  r_adams at uncg.edu