[CITASA] #SMSociety15: Social Media & Society Conference - Call for Submissions

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 5 08:04:06 EST 2014

   FRSC		              NetLab Network              INSNA Founder
                      Faculty of Information (iSchool)
   University of Toronto                          Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $15  Kindle $9
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8

------------------------------------
6th Annual International
Social Media & Society Conference
Toronto, Canada
July 27-29, 2015
Website: http://SocialMediaAndSociety.com/
------------------------------------
Call for Submissions

Academic research on social media is growing exponentially across various
disciplines including: Communications, Information / Library Science, Computer
Science, Business, Sociology, Education, Psychology, Health and others. The Web
of Science alone indexed nearly 5,000 journal and conference publications over
the last decade. This growing body of research revealed many interesting
factors about social media platforms, their users, and a glimpse of our society
at large. But are we any closer to understanding the broader implications of
social media on our increasing networked society?

The 2015 Social Media & Society Conference (#SMSociety15) invites scholarly and
original submissions that build on the previous work and critically evaluate
the role of social media for social and political change, community engagement,
marketing, new forms of governance, support of individuals and organizations in
domains such as business, information, management, public administration,
academia, health, and journalism (just to mention a few). We are also calling
for submissions that develop and apply novel methods and theories to collect,
analyze, and visualize social media data as well as those that discuss ethical
and privacy implications of using big and small data. We welcome both
quantitative and qualitative work in the broad area of Social Media & Society
that crosses interdisciplinary boundaries and expands our understanding of the
current and future trends in social media.

Whether you are just starting a new research project or ready to report on the
final results, you will find that #SMSociety15 is a great venue for you! The
2015 conference invites a wide range of submissions:
- short papers on completed or well-developed projects (Due: March 2, 2015)
- work-in-progress paper abstracts (Due: April 10, 2015),
- panel discussions (Due: March 2, 2015)
- poster presentations (Due: May 1, 2015).

New to this year, we are also calling for proposals to host:
- half-day workshops (Due: February 2, 2015) on a well-defined area or
technical tutorials that will examine a particular method or tool for the
analysis of social media data in more detail

MORE INFORMATION AT http://SocialMediaAndSociety.com/

PUBLISHING OPPORTUNITIES
All accepted short papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings by
the ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (ICPS). Authors of accepted
top papers will be invited to submit their full papers to the special issue of
the Information, Communication & Society journal (published by Taylor &
Francis).

BACKGROUND
The Social Media & Society Conference is an annual gathering of leading social
media researchers from around the world. Now, in its 6th year, the 2015
Conference will be held in Toronto, Canada from July 27 to 29, 2015. From its
inception, the conference has focused on the best practices for studying the
impact and implications of social media on society. Organized by the Social
Media Lab at Ryerson University, the conference provides attendees an
opportunity to exchange ideas, present their original research, learn about
recently completed and work-in-progress studies, and strengthen connections
with their peers. The 2014 conference hosted over 200 attendees, featured
research from 238 authors across several fields from 21 different countries.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
Social Media & Small Data
? Case Studies of Online Communities Formed on Social Media
? Case Studies of Offline Communities that Rely on Social Media
? Sampling Issues
? Value of Small Data

Social Media & Big Data
? Visualization of Social Media Data
? Social Media Data Mining
? Scalability Issues & Social Media Data
? Social Media Analytics
? Ethics of Big Data

Social Media Impact on Society
? Private Self/Public Self
? The Sharing/Attention Economy
? Virality & Memes
? Political Mobilization & Engagement
? Social Media & Health
? Social Media & Business (Marketing, PR, HR, Risk Management, etc.)
? Social Media & Academia (Alternative Metrics, Learning Analytics, etc.)
? Social Media & Public Administration
? Social Media & the News

Theories & Methods
? Qualitative & Quantitative Approaches
? Opinion Mining & Sentiment Analysis
? Social Network Analysis
? Theoretical Models for Studying, Analysing and Understanding Social Media

Online/Offline Communities
? Trust & Credibility in Social Media
? Online Community Detection
? Influential User Detection
? Online Identity

Social Media & Mobile
? App-ification of the Society
? Privacy & Security Issues in the Mobile World
? Apps for the Social Good
? Networking Apps

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
The list of the Program Committee members is available at
https://socialmediaandsociety.com/?page_id=1346

CONFERENCE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Anatoliy Gruzd
Associate Professor, Ted Rogers School of Management
Director, Social Media Lab
Ryerson University, Canada
Twitter: @gruzd

Barry Wellman
Co Director, NetLab
University of Toronto, Canada
Twitter: @barrywellman

Philip H. Mai
Manager of Academic Communications
Ryerson University, Canada
Twitter: @phmai

Jenna Jacobson
PhD Candidate, Faculty of Information (iSchool)
University of Toronto, Canada
Twitter: @jacobsonjenna

MORE INFORMATION AT http://SocialMediaAndSociety.com/

For further inquiries, please contact Dr. Anatoliy Gruzd at gruzd at ryerson.ca