[CITASA] "Technology is Not Driving Us Apart After All"

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Jan 17 13:39:18 EST 2014

NY Times Sunday mag. article about Keith Hampton & associates' studies of
behavior in public space. Building on Wm H Whyte's research

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/magazine/technology-is-not-driving-us-apart-after-all.html?from=magazine

"Hampton thought he could answer major questions about our changing social
lives, replacing vague theories with some hard data. Are we indeed
socially hobbled by our little screens? If matters have gotten worse, how
would we know? Worse than what? Using some old reels of film, Hampton
decided that he could find out.

"Tall and broad with a warm charm, unguarded in that Canadian way, Hampton
has become a star in a subfield that lacks a proper name: He studies how
digital technology changes our lives. Unlike many of his contemporaries in
academia, Hampton is neither a reactionary about technology, innately
skeptical of the new, nor a utopian, eager to trumpet every invention as
revolutionary. He is instead a sanguine optimist — a position he says is
backed up by his research."

   NetLab                        FRSC                      INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $20  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8