[CITASA] Paper vs Electronic Surveys

Eszter Hargittai info at webuse.org
Tue Jun 10 13:08:23 EDT 2014

Hi,

For quality control, I recommend using an attentiveness question (or two)
regardless of mode of data collection. Here is an example.

The purpose of this question is to assess your attentiveness to question
wording. For this question please mark the “Very often” response.

Never
Rarely
Sometimes
Often
Very Often

In paper surveys I have administered in the past few years on young adults
(in postal mail) this has resulted in 3-4% cases excluded from the
analyses. (I pitch cases where the answer is wrong or the respondent
skipped the question.)

Eszter

Eszter Hargittai
Delaney Family Professor, Communication Studies Department, Northwestern
University
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard University

http://www.eszter.com
@eszter
http://www.webuse.org