[CITASA] Digital and Social Media PhD Scholarships
ben.light at qut.edu.au
Fri Oct 3 00:30:53 EDT 2014
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
#DIGCULT14 - MAKING DIGITAL CULTURES OF GENDER AND SEXUALITY WITH SOCIAL MEDIA
28 October 2014
Creative Industries Faculty Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane.
Organisers: Ben Light, Jean Burgess, Elija Cassidy, and Stefanie Duguay
Bringing together leading and emerging scholars in the study of the digital, gender and sexuality, this symposium seeks to further interrogate questions of the contemporary making of digital cultures of gender and sexuality. Whilst difference-based approaches to understanding the gendered make up of social media users and audiences have been tackled, this symposium focuses more upon the ways in which gender and sexuality are constructed and circulated with and by this media. Additionally, it will seek to explore how sociotechnical elements of social media are being transferred to other digital cultures of gender and sexuality.
The symposium will being with an introduction, by Ben Light and Elija Cassidy, to the Men, Masculinity and Digital Media (MMADM) project which is running out of QUT. See: http://www.mmadm.org<http://www.mmadm.org/>
* Kath Albury - University of New South Wales - Selfies, sexts and sneaky hats: young people’s understandings of gendered practices of self-representation
* Jenine Beekhuyzen - Griffith University - Upending gender roles and stereotypes through an allegorical exploration of social issues that shape our digital cultures
* Paul Byron – University of New South Wales - Young people using condoms and social media: gendered discourses of safety
* Stefanie Duguay, Jean Burgess and Ben Light – Queensland University of Technology - Dating and hooking up with mobile media: a comparative study of Tinder, Mixxxer, Squirt and Dattch
* Sharif Mowlabocus - University of Sussex - Nice pics, wanna fastest? gay men, app culture and sexual health promotion in the UK
* Susanna Paasonen – University of Turku - Peer pornographies and the economies of desire
* Kane Race – University of Sydney - When is sexual media social media?: gay men, apps and sexual sociability
* Emily van der Nagel – Swinburne University of Technology - Anonymity on reddit gonewild: marking deviance, performing the ordinary
The full programme, and the link to registration, is available at www.digcult.org
Please note the symposium is free to attend, but places are limited.
PhD MSc BA(Hons)
Professor of Digital Media Studies
Creative Industries Faculty
Queensland University of Technology
Creative Industries Precinct Z1-515
Musk Avenue Kelvin Grove
QLD 4059 Australia
Phone: +61 7 3138 8280
Open Access Publications:
Personal Site: http://www.benlight.org<http://www.benlight.org/>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the CITAMS