[CITASA] Reminder: CfP "Metaknowledge" at SocInfo2014

Misha Teplitskiy misha at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 2 12:49:23 EDT 2014

*View Full CFP: http://tinyurl.com/oqe9ltf <http://tinyurl.com/oqe9ltf>*
TOPIC
The deluge of socially relevant data flowing from online and other sources
forcefully reminds us that knowledge does not arise from simple
accumulation of information. Information must be found, organized,
evaluated, and synthesized if it is to become knowledge, be it scientific
consensus, political certainty or gossip. For knowledge to grow
efficiently, and for us to even understand what modern certainties
represent, we need a deeper understanding of these processes: we need
knowledge about knowledge, or metaknowledge. Scholars have begun to
investigate such questions in disparate settings, for example “science of
science” and “science studies” in the social sciences, and “wisdom of
crowds” and “ontologies” in computational fields.

The Metaknowledge Workshop will bring together computational and social
scientists working to understand the processes of knowledge creation in a
variety of fields.
THEMES
Some specific themes we envision being represented are:

   - models and assessments of scientific and every-day knowledge-making
   - folksonomies and expert ontologies
   - evaluation of knowledge claims
   - social structure and outcomes of knowledge-making groups
   - diffusion and consensus-making in ad-hoc communities like Twitter and
   Wikipedia
   - methods of improving the speed and quality of knowledge-making
   processes

DATES

   - *Full paper submission: September 15, 2014*
   - Notification of acceptance: September 26, 2014
   - Camera-ready due: October 8, 2014
   - Conference dates: November 10-13, 2014

Authors of accepted submissions may choose to have their submission
published in the conference proceedings published by Springer.

*View Full CFP: http://tinyurl.com/oqe9ltf <http://tinyurl.com/oqe9ltf>*