[CITASA] Faculty position in Social Informatics @ Indiana University, Bloomington

Medina, Eden edenm at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 9 15:43:36 EDT 2014

Indiana University- School of Informatics and Computing

Faculty Position in Social Informatics

The School of Informatics and Computing (SoIC) at Indiana University Bloomington invites applications for an asst/assoc/full professor position in social informatics (SI), in the informatics division, to begin in August 2015.  Our intent is to hire the candidate, either senior or junior, best able to help our SI Group lead the development of Social Informatics, an opportunity greatly enabled by the recent merger into the SoIC of the IUB Department of Information and Library Science (ILS). Candidates with interests in ethnography, social and political values in computing, economic and policy perspectives on information technology, and internet and media studies are especially encouraged to apply.

Applicants should have an established record (senior level) or demonstrable potential for excellence (junior level) in research and teaching, and a Ph.D. in a relevant area or (junior level) expected before August 2015.

The SI Group in the Informatics Division currently has six members whose work is grounded in social science and humanities perspectives, through which we study the way computing and society co-construct each other. As part of the Rob Kling Center for Social Informatics, we have strong ties to other faculty at IUB who share our orientation to Science and Technology Studies, including those involved in Human/Computer Interaction, the new IUB Media School, Cognitive Science, and The Information Society journal. SI faculty and their PhD students share interests in a wide variety of research areas, including Human-Robot Interaction, Information and Communication Technology for Development, Community Informatics, the History of Computing in International Perspective, Organizational Informatics, Computing and Language, Technology Ethics and the Law, Participatory Design, and related areas. The person hired will need to teach in our core curriculum, which includes information ethics and organizational informatics.

The SoIC is the first of its kind and among the largest in the country, with unsurpassed breadth.  Its mission is to excel and lead in education, research, and outreach spanning and integrating the full breadth of computing and information technology.  It includes Computer Science, Informatics, and Library and Information Science, with over 85 tenure-line faculty, 900 graduate students, and 1100 undergraduate majors.  Its degrees include B.A. and B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Informatics, Master’s in Computer Science, Security Informatics, Bioinformatics, Human Computer Interaction Design, Information Science, and Library Science, and Ph.D.s in Computer Science, Informatics, and Information Science.

Located in the wooded rolling hills of southern Indiana, Bloomington is a culturally thriving college town with a moderate cost of living and the amenities for an active lifestyle. IU is renowned for its top-ranked music school, high-performance computing and networking facilities, and performing and fine arts.

Applicants should submit a CV, a statement of research and teaching, and names of 6 references (3 for junior level) using the link below (preferred):

http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/972 (Social Informatics)

or by mail to Faculty Search, SoIC, 919 E 10th St, Bloomington, IN 47408. Questions may be sent to hiring at soic.indiana.edu.  For full consideration applications are due by December 1, 2014.

Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2014.

Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services.  All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status.