[CITASA] 3 positions at Nanying Tech U Singapore---avoid

Philip N. Howard pnhoward at uw.edu
Wed Aug 5 15:02:27 EDT 2015

Hi Patrick and CITAMS:  Lots of good points, ultimately the judgement of fit has to be made on both sides...department and candidate.

I think Singapore often gets a pass because it is authoritarian but at least capitalist authoritarian.  Yes there are lots of rumors about the abuse of academic freedoms around the world.  But this is a very recent and well documented abuse that directly impacted our profession and domains of inquiry.  While those general organizational problems can appear in many kinds of universities, it is _grossly_ misleading to equate academic freedoms and human rights in Singapore with those in the US, UK, Europe.  As professionals, I'm sure we'd all agree that it would be good for the NTU admin to see that its disrespect for academic freedoms makes it hard to recruit new scholars.

Cherian George seems to have landed well in Hong Kong (!).  He is a friendly and accessible person and maintained a very professional decorum throughout the process...job applicants should always get background info on a department they are seriously looking at.

BTW Christian Sandvig chimed in over AIR but is not on CITAMS, and I've obtained his permission to share this post here.
p.

<snip>

Hi Everyone,

I signed the 2013 Harvard Berkman statement cautioning Internet researchers
that the signatories did not believe NTU meets international norms for the
protection of academic freedom. http://cheriangeorgestatement.tumblr.com/
Although the statement was speculative in 2013, since then a former NTU
Dean admitted that the controversial firing was not an NTU decision and was
imposed on the university by the government. http://bit.ly/1S8hYxT

Why would a bunch of international Internet researchers take a stand on
this issue? It's not as though the signatures on that letter are all people
who are deeply involved in Singaporean academic life. (I'm not.) I'm sure
many of those who signed knew almost nothing about Singapore. And why
Singapore? The world is full of injustice.

The answer is that many Singaporean academics at a variety of levels have
asked for or supported international pressure on this issue. Some of them
may not feel comfortable posting publicly about it with a viewpoint
opposite to Patrick's. Singapore is a rich country with excellent PR. It is
a realistic concern that foreign academics studying the Internet, media
and/or communication (people who tend to have intellectual commitments to
the freedom of information) may not know that they are applying to what
Human Rights Watch calls a "textbook example" of a repressive state.

Christian