[CITASA] Bergson, Complexity and Creative Emergence

Kreps David D.G.Kreps at salford.ac.uk
Thu Aug 13 07:17:47 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues and Friends
I am extremely pleased to write to you with some wonderful news!

"Bergson, Complexity and Creative Emergence"
My first book, Bergson, Complexity and Creative Emergence has been published worldwide by Palgrave MacMillan this month.

It is a book about evolution - from a post-Darwinian perspective. It recounts the core ideas of one of the great French philosophers, Henri Bergson (1859-1941), and his rediscovery and legacy in the poststructuralist critical philosophies of the 1960s onwards. It explores the confluences of these approaches with the foundational ideas of complexity theory and complex adaptive systems in environmental biology. The failings in the development of systems theory, many of which complex systems theory overcomes, are retold; with Bergson, this book proposes, some of the rest may be overcome too. It asserts that Bergson's ideas can further our understanding of evolution, and of complex systems, and aid the work of scientists working in the field of ecological complexity.

John Mullarkey, author of Bergson and Philosophy, wrote:
"This is no ordinary introduction to Henri Bergson. What David Kreps' excellent study gives us is Bergson, complexe: first, because there is no simple way to take (or leave) Bergson's ideas - his thought of durée, élan, and 'multiplicity' demands the most subtle and nuanced reading to give them their full justice; and second, because only by intertwining his ideas with the most up-to-date research in systems thinking, complexity theory, and poststructuralism can we begin to understand their absolute contemporaneity. Kreps' work does all this and more - it gives us the Bergson we need for today."

Bergson, Complexity and Creative Emergence is available in hardcover, and in eBook formats. The table of contents, chapter abstracts, and Introduction are at www.creativeemergence.info. The book is available from the Palgrave MacMillan site, and available to order from reputable booksellers.

with thanks and best regards
David
Author, Bergson, Complexity and Creative Emergence
Dr David Kreps PhD MA BA(hons) PGCAP SFHEA
Senior Lecturer in Information Systems and Society
Salford Business School