[CITASA] Call for Participants: Different Games Conference 2015

Brian McKernan brian.mckernan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:40:43 EST 2015

Brian McKernan (co-organizer), University at Albany, SUNY,
DifferentGamesConference at gmail.com

Call for Participants: Different Games Conference 2015

Different Games, the first conference on inclusivity and diversity in
games, invites participants for its 2015 edition at NYU's Polytechnic
School of Engineering, located in Brooklyn, NY, on Friday April 3 and
Saturday April 4.

After a hugely successful 2nd year that welcomed 40some speakers, dozens of
original games and more than 300 attendees, Different Games is back for a
third edition and we can’t wait to come together again this April!

Critical voices from across the games community— including designers,
activists, researchers, journalists and others— are invited to present new
and recent work as part of our two day program.

Submissions are invited before Feb 1, 2015 in three categories (though we
welcome other ideas):

Arcade: Designers interested in showcasing their game in the Different
Games arcade should submit a brief overview of their game (no more than 500
words) that includes their design vision and concept of the game. In
addition, please submit the cover art and two screenshots of gameplay. We
welcome pieces that will be in (beta) or playtesting phase as well as those
further along in the development process.

Paper Presentations and Talks: We invite academics and creative minds alike
to share recent work (written or otherwise) as speakers on our conference
panels. We encourage participants from every field to submit writing or
talks exploring topics pertaining to diversity and inclusion. Possible
topics may include, but are not limited to: post mortems, design
methodology, reflections on playtesting, analysis/commentary on games
content (theme, gender, sexuality, etc.), game reception, and game
culture/communities.

Breakout or Workshop Sessions: We invite topic specific or exploratory
discussions on challenges and solutions for promoting diversity and
inclusion in the broader game community/communities and other pertinent
subjects. Hands-on workshop sessions geared towards learning design and
development skills are also invited. Your proposal should include an
explanation of any equipment participants will need for your workshop. If
your session will be facilitated collaboratively, please include bios and
links for all co-facilitators.

Visit our website (http://www.2015.differentgames.org/) for more info or to
submit. Send questions to DifferentGamesConference at gmail.com.