[CITASA] Call for abstracts - Participatory Media & Moral Panic

Nathalie PATON nathalie.paton at univ-toulouse.fr
Fri Jan 30 11:40:58 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

Glenn W. Muschert and I are proposing a panel on “Participatory Media and Moral Panic” for the Social Media and Society Conference that will be held in Toronto, Canada, at the end of July 2015 (https://socialmediaandsociety.com/?page_id=1315). This panel session serves as a starting point for an edited volume on the same topic. We would like to invite you to submit a proposal by February 26, 2015.

The transformation of the media landscape invites us to rethink the dialectic between “media” and “moral panic”, by focusing on the ways in which participatory media enables the public’s participation in moral panic.

Abstracts may relate to any of the following or other areas:
- Participatory media as a new form of media panic
- Participatory media in light of the history of media panic
- Circulation and propagation of moral panic online
- Publics’ uses of participatory media to trigger, fuel or maintain moral panics
- Uses of participatory media by the different publics (e.g. subaltern counter-publics or general public) as a form of activism in the context of moral panic
- Effects of participation in moral panic on media habits
- Relationship between participation in online moral panic and the formation, evolution or dissolution of social networks and/or social ties
- Spatiotemporal scales of moral panic: from local issues to global problems or global issues affecting local communities
- Renewal of the accessibility to fields of moral panic upon the arrival of the Internet
- New digital methodologies to capture classical objects of moral panic
- Effects of participatory media on the very concept of moral panic

For a detailed outline of the scope of this call for abstracts, please see the attached document.

This panel creates an opportunity for colleagues to present their papers, to meet face to face and to examine our common theme in an interactive environment. The aim is to promote lively dialogue among experts and to offer a venue for a fruitful and satisfying discussion on how we theorize moral panics and participatory media.

The deadline to propose a panel at the conference is March 2nd 2015. Therefore, if you would like to participate in the Social Media and Society Conference, please send us the details of the authors/participants and a brief abstract of 150-200 words by February 26 at the latest. You will be informed shortly after if your abstract has been selected. Please simultaneously e-mail Glenn Muschert at muschegw at MiamiOH.edu and Nathalie Paton at nathalie.paton at gmail.com.

We feel important to point out that contribution to the Social Media and Society Conference panel does not imply, nor is contingent upon, final acceptance of a paper for the proposed volume on participatory media and moral panic. While the Social Media and Society Conference panel and the planned volume may complement one another, they are nonetheless separate projects. Acceptance for publication in the edited volume will require successful peer and editorial review prior to publication. We mention this simply to avoid potential confusion.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Also, please feel welcome to post this call for abstracts widely and to forward it to interested colleagues and students.

We look forward to reading your abstracts.

Best regards,
Glenn W. Muschert (Professor at Miami University, US)
Nathalie Paton (Post-doctorate Fellow at Aix-Marseille University, FR)