[CITASA] 3 positions at Nanying Tech U Singapore---avoid

Philip N. Howard pnhoward at uw.edu
Tue Jul 28 19:42:40 EDT 2015

Alas I don't believe these jobs will be good for many people on this list.

Unfortunately NTU, and Singapore, has a bad reputation for academic freedoms.  Very recently the president of the country overturned a tenure decision involving one of our colleagues, Dr. Cherian George (phd Stanford), and neither his department nor his university were able to stand by him.  I was one of his external reviewers and got drawn into the campaign to have the university and government respect the usual system of peer assessment.

http://techpresident.com/news/23575/op-ed-singapore-doesnt-always-need-internet-censorship-silence-critics
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christian-sandvig/internet-freedom-prof-den_b_2770033.html
http://blogs.wsj.com/indonesiarealtime/2013/03/01/singapore-professor-denied-tenure-sparks-academic-freedom-debate/

If you study communication, technology, journalism, media, or have domains of inquiry that are culturally, politically, or economically sensitive, this is probably not a good place for you.  Singapore as a country may open up in time, but you probably don't want to be the next test case for academic freedom!  It is a bit early, and a bit risky, to invest your academic career in Singapore.
p.

Dr. Philip N. Howard
Professor, University of Washington
Professor, Central European University