[CITASA] Call for abstracts: Complexity and Global Security, Sep 28 - Oct 2, 2015, Tempe, AZ

Steven Corman steve.corman at asu.edu
Tue May 26 12:01:00 EDT 2015

It has been nearly 20 years since the U.S. National Defense University and the RAND Corporation organized a
ground breaking conference titled Complexity, Global Politics and National Security. The years since have seen
tremendous advances in network analysis, graph theory, computational social science, and other theoretical
aspects of complex systems. At the same time, exponential growth in computational power has led to novel
methods of modelling, simulation, and analysis of complex systems. We seek to build upon the vision
presented 20 years ago and to highlight how these numerous advances in complex systems theory and
methods have enhanced our understanding of global security issues and our ability to address those issues.
These issues share much with novel scientific fields, such as sustainability, and include emerging security issues
such as urbanization and the rise of megacities. For these reasons the 2015 European Conference on Complex
Systems (www.ccs2015.org/) will include a satellite session for scientists, scholars, and practitioners
addressing global security as a complex network of causality and nonlinear feedbacks. Participants will explore
both proximate and ultimate drivers of social and political instability, including (but not limited to) such
phenomena as:
 climate change
 food system disruption
 geopolitical conflict
 trade networks
 altered migratory patterns
 water scarcity
 the modelling and visualization of these drivers

To submit or for more information visit http://www.public.asu.edu/~sshutte/globalsecurity2015/

Steven R. (Steve) Corman

Professor, Hugh Downs School of Human Communication<http://humancommunication.clas.asu.edu/>
Director, Center for Strategic Communication<http://csc.asu.edu/>