[CITASA] The Stellar Seven

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed May 27 09:22:00 EDT 2015

CITASA's best paper commitee -- Katrina Kimport (chair), Celeste
Campos-Castelli and me -- found that there were so many good papers that
we wanted to call to your attention. So, we came up with a list and
summary of really nice ones for your reading pleasure. Summaries by me
below. And more nicely formatted as a sub-page of CITASA's Awards page.

http://www.citasa.org/

The Best Paper and Honorable Mention prizes (from among this set of seven)
will be announced in due course.

I hope that this tradition continues, although we are not wedded to the
number 7.

See you in Chicago
   FRSC                 INSNA Founder               University of Toronto
   NETWORKED:The New Social Operating System.  Lee Rainie & Barry Wellman
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39        Print $14  Kindle $9

Stellar Seven 2015
Barry Wellman, April 27, 2015

The CITASA Best Paper Committee kvelled. We had so many good papers! Not
only were they good, they were diverse in theory, method, and content. And
they all have been published in fine journals. While we picked an official
winner and Honorable Mentions – you’ll get that news elsewhere – we wanted
to share with you the Stellar Seven. As they are all winning pieces of
scholarship, we wanted to bring them to your attention. Not only is each
an elegant article, taken together they show the exciting panoply of work
that we’re doing. Here are summaries (often using the papers’ own words)
to guide your reading and research pleasure, listed in alphabetical order
by first author. CITASA is doing great stuff. We hope this summarization
of stellar nominees—be they seven or some other number—becomes an annual
tradition.

Centola, Damon and Andrea Baronchelli.  2015. “The Spontaneous Emergence
of Conventions: An Experimental Study of Cultural Evolution. Proceedings
of the National Academy of Science (PNAS). “The Spontaneous Emergence of
Conventions: An Experimental Study of Cultural Evolution.” 112, 7
(February): 1989-94. Theories of the evolution of social conventions have
been hindered by the difficulty of evaluating the creation of new
collective behaviors in large decentralized populations. The authors
present results of controlled experiments. Their basis is Wittgenstein’s
proposal that repeated interactions produces collective agreement among a
pair of actors. The experimental trials varied in social network
structure. Participants (recruited from the Web) were rewarded for
coordinating locally, but they did not have either incentive or
information to achieve large scale agreement. The results show that
“changes in network connectivity can cause global social conventions to
spontaneously emerge from local interactions, even though people have no
knowledge
that they are coordinating at a global scale.”

Chen, Wenhong. 2013. “The Implications of Social Capital for the Digital
Divides in America.” The Information Society, 29: 13-25. Does social
capital in Time 1 predict digital divides in Time 2? Uses a large 2-wave
over-time panel study to show how social networks/social capital
facilitates internet access and use. Position generator survey data
identified the Rs’ higher & lower status network connections. Bonding
capital was indicated by the number of occupations in which R knew someone
via a strong tie; bridging capital by the number of occupations in which R
knew someone via a weak tie. Although bridging capital is positively
associated with Internet access, the average resources available via
bonding capital are the most versatile, positively related to internet
access, general use, and online communication. “Before the Internet can
revitalize social capital, there must be the right social capital in place
to close the digital divides.” [see also Laura Robinson’s article]

Davis, Jenny. 2014. “Triangulating the Self: Identity Processes in a
Connected Era.” Symbolic Interaction 37, 4: 500-23.  With the self
comprised of multiple social identities in a “networked era”, people
negotiate identities and strike “a presentational balance between ideal
and authentic.” Uses 1:1 in-person interviews (N=17) and synchronous text
exchanges (N=32) from a snowballing generated from the author’s own
Facebook network. Finds three key interaction conditions: “fluidity
between digital and physical, expectations of accuracy, and overlapping
social networks
.Social actors accomplish the ideal-authentic balance
through self-triangulation, presenting a coherent image in multiple arenas
and through multiple media.” Self-triangulation has two aspects:
“networked logic”—individuals’ seamless incorporation of multiple media
into “performative practices”; “preemptive action”—the proactive “decision
to engage in some act within one arena primarily as a means to support
performances in other arenas.”

Hampton, Keith, Lauren Sessions Goulet, and Garrett Albanesius. 2015.
“Change in the Social Life of Urban Public Spaces: The Rise of Mobile
Phones and Women, and the Decline of Aloneness Over Thirty Years”. Urban
Studies. 52(8): 1489-1504. Americans have become less socially isolated
using public spaces than a generation ago, due in part to using mobile
devices. The study is based on comparing videos of the same public spaces
that William H Whyte’s team filmed in 1969+.  It uses detailed coding from
NYC and Philadelphia of the behavior and characteristics of 143,593
observations, then and now. The most dramatic change has been an increase
in the proportion of women in public spaces, and a corresponding increase
in the tendency of men and women to spend time together in public. The
rate of mobile phone use in public is small, especially in groups. Mobile
phone use occurs somewhat more often in public spaces where people might
otherwise be walking alone. This suggests that mobile phone use is
associated with reduced public isolation and with an increased likelihood
of lingering in public. We note that The New York Times Magazine has
already run a feature story about this research: Mark Oppenheimer,
“Technology Is Not Driving Us Apart After All”:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/magazine/technology-is-not-driving-us-apart-after-all.html?_r=0

Lewis, Kevin. 2013. “The Limits of Racial Prejudice.” Proceedings of the
National Academy of Science (PNAS) 110, 47 (November), 18814–19. Uses a
very large sample of interactions on online dating site OKCupid to find
that daters from all racial backgrounds are equally or more likely to
cross racial boundaries when reciprocating rather than initiating dating
contact. Further, finds that daters who have received a cross-race message
are more likely to initiate their own interracial exchange, although the
effect trails off quickly and varies according to several factors,
including the racial background of the original sender. Findings
illuminate the ongoing production of racial segregation in romantic
networks through interactive choices as well as point toward mechanisms
whereby such underlying biases may be reduced.

Robinson, Laura. 2014. “Endowed, Entrepreneurial, and Empowered-Strivers:
Doing a Lot with a Lot, Doing a Lot with a Little.” Information,
Communication & Society 17, 5: 521-36.   Uses 1:1 and focus group
in-person interviews with California high school students to show how
access to or deprivation from information resources influences how
students synthesize information for school. “Endowed-Strivers” with a
synergistic access to information resources have a self-reliant habitus.
“Entrepreneurial-Strivers” with few home resources rely on others.
“Empowered-Strivers” benefit from school-based interventions that provide
multiple information channels: they develop more self-reliance. The
“relationships between access conditions, information opportunity
structures, and types of information habitus
show how the synergistic use
of informational resources plays a critical role in larger digital
inequalities.” [see also Wenhong Chen’s article}.

Van de Rijt, Arnout, Soong Moon Kang, Michael Restivo, and Akshay Patil.
2014. “Field Experiments of Success-Breeds-Success Dynamics.”  Proceedings
of the National Academy of Science (PNAS 111, 19 May): 6934-6939. Why do
similar individuals have different degrees of success? Randomized
experiments through interventions in Kickstarter, change.org, Wikipedia,
and epinions.org show that “different kinds of success (money, quality
ratings, awards, and endorsements)” all improved subsequent rates of
success. There were limits to this as “greater amounts of initial success
failed to produce much greater subsequent success.”

CITASA has a bright future: all of the authors are mid-career or younger.
Taken together, these articles make a great reading list. They show the
use of CITASA’s work on a variety of fields: norms, social capital,
symbolic interaction, urban, gender, race, teens, and social psychology.
The papers all come from solid journals. Yet, none of the mainstreamers
with “social” or “sociological” in their titles appear. Those laggards
will catch on some day.