[CITASA] International Journal of Communication (IJOC) Call for Papers (Special Section on Net Neutrality) The Work for Internet Freedoms: Network Neutrality in the U.S. and the Labors of Policy Advocacy

Becky Lentz roberta.lentz at mcgill.ca
Wed May 27 09:21:51 EDT 2015

Please post/forward as appropriate and excuse any unavoidable
cross-postingsŠ

International Journal of Communication

Call for Papers
Special Section on Net Neutrality

The Work for Internet Freedoms: Network Neutrality in the U.S.
and the Labors of Policy Advocacy

Special Section Editors

Becky Lentz, McGill University
Allison Perlman, University of California, Irvine

Deadline for submissions:  August 31, 2015

When the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted in February 2015 to
reclassify broadband under Title II of the Telecommunications Act, and thus
to secure Network Neutrality and the principle of nondiscrimination at its
center, it delivered an important victory to the millions of people who had
insisted that strong Network Neutrality protections were crucial for an
open, democratic Internet. This victory owed in large part to the tremendous
outpouring of public support for Network Neutrality, which itself owed to
the ongoing labors of community organizers, issue campaigners, funders,
scholar activists, public interest lawyers and many others to make visible
how issues of media policy fundamentally affect issues of social justice and
political change.

For this special section, we seek articles that foreground these and other
multiple labors involved in achieving policy victories like the Network
Neutrality Order. We aim to make visible the often invisible work required
to effect lawmaking, judicial rulings, and regulations in the public
interest.

In this issue of the International Journal of Communication we take a
capacious approach to the study of media advocacy labor. We encourage
submissions that address this topic from a range of perspectives and seek
diverse methodological approaches to the study of media advocacy.
Submissions could address topics ranging from the role of philanthropic
foundations in supporting advocacy labor to John Oliver¹s segment on Network
Neutrality, Code Pink¹s public protests, or Free Press¹ National Conferences
on Media Reform. Our goal is to provide an interdisciplinary look at the
many labors of media advocacy and to foreground the ³how² and the ³why² of
how media advocacy operates.

We specifically wish to publish historically and theoretically informed
articles that are attentive to examples of multiple forms of advocacy labor.
Topics could include (but are not limited to):
·      Investigations into the political economy of advocacy and to the many
forms of capital (financial, informational, reputational, and/or cultural)
that it requires

·      Analyses of the cultural artifacts and performances that constitute
advocacy work, such as educational videos, street theater/public
demonstrations, political satire, op-ed columns,

·      Examinations of the various strategies deployed by media advocacy
groups, collectives, and networks, such as community organizing, popular
education campaigns, lobbying, regulatory filings, strategic research, and
policy advocacy pedagogy

·      Examinations of the intersections between media policy advocacy and
social justice activism

·      Studies of how various news sources, including non-corporate and
civil society outlets, reported on and framed advocacy work

Finally, we seek ideas for book reviews relevant to the topic of the special
section (maximum 1,500 words including references; guidelines available).

Note: For this special section, we will not be seeking legal interpretations
and policy analyses of the Network Neutrality issue itself; sufficient work
already exists in this area in media, technology, and communication studies
journals as well as law journals. Nor are we seeking normative papers
advancing solutions to achieve Network Neutrality. Instead, our focus is on
scholarship that foregrounds the processes and varieties of work required to
intervene on behalf of the public interest in the Network Neutrality debate.

If interested, please submit full articles by August 31, 2015. Articles
should be no more than 8,000 words (all-inclusive) and should follow the
APA-6th Edition style guide. Articles should be submitted to http://ijoc.org
<http://ijoc.org>  and specify ³Net Neutrality Special Section² in your
entry.  For author guidelines, see
http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/about/submissions#authorGuidelines
<http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/about/submissions#authorGuidelines> .

Please direct any questions about topics, formats, article length and
expected submission standards to the special section editors Becky Lentz
(becky.lentz at mcgill.ca <mailto:becky.lentz at mcgill.ca> ) or Allison Perlman
(aperlman at uci.edu <mailto:aperlman at uci.edu> ).  Be sure to specify ³Net
Neutrality Special Section² in your email subject line.