[CITASA] CFP: Theorizing the Web 2016

Davis, Jennifer Lauren - davis5jl davis5jl at jmu.edu
Thu Nov 5 12:06:14 EST 2015

Theorizing the Web 2015

April 15–16 in New York City

Venue: the Museum of the Moving Image, in Queens

Abstract submission deadline: 11:59 pm (EST), January 24, 2016

Theorizing the Web is an annual event featuring critical, conceptual discussions about technology and society. We began in 2011 to advance a different kind of conversation about the Web, one which recognizes that to theorize technology is also to theorize the self and the social world. Given that technology is inseparable from society, the ideas and approaches that have historically been used to describe social reality must not be abandoned. Instead, these historical approaches must be applied, reworked, and reassessed in light of the developing digitization of social life.

We are now seeking presentations for our sixth annual event, which will take place on April 15 and 16 at the Museum of the Moving Image in New York City. We invite submissions that engage with issues of social power, inequality, vulnerability, and justice from a diverse range of perspectives. Theorizing the Web is not an event just for academics or “tech” thinkers: activists, journalists, technologists, writers, artists, and folks who don’t identify as any of the above are all encouraged to submit a presentation abstract.

We are looking for abstracts that feature clear conceptual arguments and that avoid jargon in favor of more broadly accessible critical insight. Submissions on any topic are welcome, but some specific topics we’d like to address this year include:

--moving images, gifs, video, live streaming, copcams

--social photography, filters, selfies, posing

--race, racism, race posturing, ethnicity, #BlackLivesMatter

--sex, gender, feminism, queer and trans* politics

--sexuality, sexting, sex work, consent

--mental health, illness, neurodiversity

--(dis)ability and ableism

--non-Western Web(s), language barriers, hegemony, globalization

--social movements, protest, revolution, social control, censorship

--hate, harassment, intimidation, trolling, bullying, resistance

--pain, sickness, loss, death and dying

--parenting, birth, life course

--bodies, cyborgs, wearables, trans/post-humanism, bots

--the self, identity, subjectivity, (in)authenticity, impression management

--privacy, publicity, surveillance

--encryption, anonymity, pseudonymity

--presence, proximity, face-to-face, (dis)connection, loneliness

--capitalism, Silicon Valley, venture capital

--crowd funding, micro currencies, crypto currencies, blockchains

--work, labor, “gig” or “sharing” economy, “Uber for”, exploitation

--transportation, self-driving cars, drones, cities

--code, affordances, infrastructure, critical design

--knowledge, “big” data, data science, algorithms, positivism

--memes, virality, metrics, (micro-)celebrity, fame, attention, click-baiting

--underground markets, child porn, revenge porn, the extra-legal web

--fiction, literature, visual narratives, storytelling, self-publishing, fandoms

--time, (a)temporality, ephemerality, history, memory, right to forget

--games, gaming, gamification, free-to-play, fantasy sports, gambling

--elections, campaigns, presidential politics

Successful abstracts will address intersections of gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation, disability, and other forms of inequality as they pertain to any of the topics above.

Abstract submissions should be 300 to 500 words (only the first 500 words will be reviewed). Arguments should be scaled to fit 12-minute panel presentations, and titles should appeal to a general audience. Your submission should not only describe your topic and question but also summarize your thinking and your conclusions. Good abstracts will provide a specific, original argument with clear stakes. Please do not ask questions in your abstract without answering them, or state “I will make an argument about X” without making the argument.

Note that, because Theorizing the Web deeply values public engagement, we expect all TtW16 presentations to be both comprehensible and rewarding to people from outside the presenter’s specific areas of expertise.

Abstract submissions are due by 11:59 EST on January 24, 2016, and can be submitted through our form located at theorizingtheweb.org/submit. The TtW16 selection committee will blindly review all submissions. Space is limited, and selection is competitive. Our acceptance rate is typically 20% to 35%.

Please note that we have a separate submissions process for art and alternative-format presentations. If you would like to participate in some way that isn’t giving a spoken presentation (e.g., displaying a piece of art; giving a performance; doing something else entirely), please use this separate submission form: http://tinyurl.com/ttw16alt

Registration for Theorizing the Web remains “pay what you can,” and we ask that you donate whatever amount you deem fair or can afford (minimum $1). More information (including the registration form) can be found at theorizingtheweb.tumblr.com/2016/registration.

Stay tuned to theorizingtheweb.org for announcements about invited panels, and mail us at theorizingtheweb at gmail.com if you would like to help out with our all-volunteer event in any way.

The conference hashtag is #TtW16.

<3