[CITASA] CITP / MiLab Spring 2016 Doctoral Workshop

Ardevol-Abreu, Alberto alberto.ardevol-abreu at univie.ac.at
Tue Nov 24 13:37:12 EST 2015

Dear colleagues & friends,

I hope this email finds you well.
I would like to draw your attention to the open call for participants to our second Princeton/Vienna doctoral workshop. This year it will take place in Vienna in late April (27th – 29th). About 8 students will be selected to come to University of Vienna and present their advanced doctoral work. They will receive feedback from peers, and a panel of 6 six international experts from different Universities around the world. Some financial support will be provided to all selected students.

Please see the call via the following link (also PDF attached to this email). http://milab.univie.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/p_milab/News/CITP_MiLab_Workshop_Call_2016.pdf We appreciate your efforts in encouraging your best students to apply.

Also, please feel free to circulate the call to others who might be interested on it.

Thank you very much,

Alberto Ardèvol-Abreu
Department of Communication
University of Vienna

CITP / MiLab Spring 2016 Doctoral Workshop

The Center for Information Technology Policy (CITP) at Princeton University and the Media Innovation
Lab (MiLab) at the University of Vienna are pleased to announce our second annual Doctoral Workshop
to be held April 27th to April 29th at the University of Vienna.

The workshop will be led by Nick Feamster, Professor of Computer Science and Acting Director of CITP at
Princeton University, and Homero Gil de Zúñiga, who holds the Medienwandel Professorship in the
Department of Communication and leads the MiLab at the University of Vienna.

The goal of the workshop is to provide a forum for leading doctoral students to present their late-stage
research to experts in the field, receive feedback and advice, and gain exposure to related work in other
disciplines. We seek to provide a helpful, interactive experience for students, to highlight the work of
rising stars in this area, and to foster interdisciplinary collaboration.

Participants will be selected through a competitive review process. We expect to invite about 8 doctoral
students to attend. We will provide support for travel and lodging up to 500 EUR per attendee. Students
are encouraged to submit dissertation relevant work; abstracts and shorter proposals will not be
accepted.

Research topics should focus on the interplay between information and communication technologies and
the social, political, civic, and governmental spheres. We welcome applications from doctoral students
doing relevant work in any discipline, including communication studies, computer science, economics,
political science, and sociology. Possible topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

 Citizen journalism
 Civic engagement and digital technology
 E-voting security
 Internet governance
 Open government data
 Privacy technologies for democratic ends
 Social media and political expression
 State-sponsored internet freedom programs

Submission process: Please submit your manuscript, along with your CV and full contact information, to
Laura Cummings-Abdo (citp at princeton.edu) and Meike Müller (meike.mueller at univie.ac.at) no later
than February 7th, 2016.

For more information about our work, please visit our websites: CITP (citp.princeton.edu) and MiLab
(milab.univie.ac.at).