[CITASA] Michigan State University PhD Program in Media and Information Studies

Shelia Cotten cotten at msu.edu
Thu Oct 15 21:12:31 EDT 2015

Hi everyone. As many of you know, I was in sociology prior to moving to the Department of Media and Information at MSU. I LOVE being in an interdisciplinary department where everyone focuses on some aspect of technology, social media, etc.! If you have students who are interested in digital inequalities, technology use across the life course, or the health, social, and educational impacts of technology use, I’d love to have them work with me at MSU. We have lots of other great areas of focus in our PhD program too (see below).

We’re looking for great graduate students. Send us your best students!

Thanks.
Shelia

Applications invited for Media and Information Studies PhD Program at MSU

The Media and Information Studies PhD program at Michigan State University seeks outstanding students who wish to join an exciting interdisciplinary program of study at the intersection of the social sciences and socio technical systems. Our diverse faculty develops and applies transformative knowledge about media and society and evolving information and communication technologies.  The program engages students to become active scholars, teachers, and leaders in the media and information fields.

Offered jointly by the Department of Advertising + Public Relations, the School of Journalism, and the Department of Media and Information, the MIS PhD program gives students access to fifty PhD faculty with research interests that span important current and emerging issues in media and information studies. Students get involved early on in projects, complementing theoretical coursework with hands-on research experiences.

Particularly strong research interests of our faculty include:

·      Social media and social computing

·      Human-computer interaction

·      Socio technical systems and collective intelligence

·      Management information systems

·      ICT and health

·      Information and Communication for Development (ICT4D)

·      Games and meaningful play

·      Media effects on individuals and society

·      Media, information and Internet policy

Application deadline for the 2016 cohort is January 1, 2016. In addition, we invite applications throughout the year as we accept students into the PhD program on a rolling admissions process. Steps to apply are detailed at http://cas.msu.edu/misphd/.

 All of our current students are supported by graduate teaching and research assistantships with generous stipends of $2000+ per month, tuition remission, and health benefits. University fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, summer research fellowships, and stipends for travel to academic conferences round out the resources available for students.

 Over three-fourths of our graduates are hired into faculty positions at four-year institutions at graduation. They are found in departments of mass media, journalism, advertising, public relations, and information studies across the United States and around the world. Others go on to careers in public service and business.

 The 2015 QS World University rankings place MSU 6th in the world and 5th in North America in communication and media studies.  The National Communication Association (NCA), in their most recent doctoral program reputation study, ranked MSU’s Ph.D. programs as No. 1 in educating researchers in communication technology, and in the top four in mass communication. Michigan State University ranked third in frequency of faculty publication in communication in a study reported in The Electronic Journal of Communication in 2012.

 East Lansing and the greater Lansing area offer a vibrant cultural environment with easy access to a variety of outdoor activities and the scenic beauty of our state year-round. Blending urban and sub-urban living, it is one of the nation’s most affordable places to complete a doctoral program in media and information studies.

To learn more, see our web page and visit us on Facebook.

Shelia R. Cotten
Professor and Associate Chair for Research, Dept. of Media and Information
Director, Trifecta Initiative
Director, Sparrow/MSU Center for Innovation and Research
Michigan State University
409 Comm Arts
404 Wilson Road
East Lansing, Michigan 48824