[CITAMS] lawsuit on behalf of researchers who study the Internet

Christian Sandvig christian.sandvig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:34:13 EDT 2016

Dear CITAMS colleagues,

Last month I joined other Internet researchers and the ACLU to file a
lawsuit against the US Government to protect the legal right to conduct
online research. It was CITAMS person Philip Howard who called the lawsuit
"key to the future of social science" (
https://twitter.com/pnhoward/status/748314836568707072).

I thought this would be of interest to CITAMS. I mistakenly thought that I
sent my initial message about the suit to the CITAMS list last month, but
it looks like it I just imagined doing that. I've attached the AoIR version
of the announcement of the lawsuit from last month with some links.

This is newly relevant today because a community of devs interested in
public policy started a petition in support of our court case. It is very
sweet of them to make this petition. If you agree, you may want to sign it.

http://slashpolicy.com/petition/curiosity-is-not-a-crime/

Read below for more context.

Best,
Christian