[CITASA] New Book Announcement

Michael S. Evans Michael.S.Evans at dartmouth.edu
Mon Feb 8 12:06:31 EST 2016

CITAMS colleagues:

My new book is now available! It uses computational methods to analyze mass media data, along with archival and interview methods involving media elites and ordinary Americans, so I thought you might be particularly interested.

Evans, Michael S. 2016. Seeking Good Debate: Religion, Science, and Conflict in American Public Life. Oakland: University of California Press.

http://www.ucpress.edu/go/seekinggooddebate
http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Good-Debate-Religion-Conflict/dp/0520285085

Why do religion and science often appear in conflict in America’s public sphere? In Seeking Good Debate, Michael S. Evans examines the results from the first-ever study to combine large-scale empirical analysis of some of our foremost religion and science debates with in-depth research into what Americans actually want in the public sphere. The surprising finding is that apparent conflicts involving religion and science reflect a more fundamental conflict between media elites and ordinary Americans over what is good debate. For elite representatives, good debate advances an agenda, but, as Evans shows, for many Americans it is defined by engagement and deliberation. This hidden conflict over what constitutes debate’s proper role diminishes the possibility for science and religion to be discussed meaningfully in public life. Challenging our understanding of science, religion, and conflict, Seeking Good Debate raises profound questions about the future of the public sphere and American democracy.

If you'd like to request an exam copy of Seeking Good Debate, you can do that here: https://www.ucpress.edu/examdesk.php?isbn=9780520285088

All best,

Michael S. Evans
William H. Neukom 1964 Fellow