[CITASA] “Please Read the Article”? Please Cite Women Academics.

Meryl Alper m.alper at neu.edu
Tue Feb 23 12:17:56 EST 2016

Hi all,

Over the weekend, journalist Fred Kaplan published an article in the New
York Times, entitled "'WarGames' and Cybersecurity's Debt to a Hollywood
Hack" (
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/movies/wargames-and-cybersecuritys-debt-to-a-hollywood-hack.html?_r=0).

The core argument -- that WarGames culturally influenced the Reagan
administration's cyberpolicy -- sounded a great deal like communication
scholar Stephanie Ricker Schulte's work.  When I brought this reference to
Kaplan's attention on Twitter, he was super dismissive and minced my words.

So, naturally, I wrote a blog post about the incident, situating it within
a broader trend of tech journalists (mostly men) minimizing the work of
academics (mostly women), and capitalizing on this sin of omission in
promoting their own books and other works:

https://merylalper.com/2016/02/22/please-read-the-article-please-cite-women-academics/

I'm really interested to know the thoughts of this community, both as one
that knows
​digital media and society inside and out, but one also committed to
egalitarian principles.

Best,
Meryl

--