[CITASA] Need Sage Advice

Nick Judd ncj at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 23 13:13:06 EST 2016

"-- and the web" might be better if one is speaking only of what one
sees in one's browser + mobile browser.

"Web" as short for "World Wide Web" primarily refers to a combination of
three technologies: URLs/URIs, HTTP protocol, and HTML. Even in popular
usage, we separate the Web from the walled-garden experiences that both
a.) install software on a user device and b.) conceal any interaction
with the three above technologies from the user. Consider the "mobile
Web" (such as it is) versus "apps," for instance. Of course "apps" are
nontrivial when we are interested in experiences mediated by digital
technologies.

Given that we are interested in production and consumption, this could
be useful. For e.g., Instagram execs need not worry about how a user's
choice to install ad blocking software interrupts the exchanges they
want users to make. There is a larger set of behaviors available to a
user on the "web."

It might also be useful to allow some distinction between what people do
in such a mediated interaction versus an interaction in letters versus
face-to-face ...

Best Regards,

Nick Judd
Department of Sociology