[CITASA] “Please Read the Article”? Please Cite Women Academics.

Jen Schradie jen.schradie at iast.fr
Wed Feb 24 10:03:09 EST 2016

Meryl asked an excellent question to this group - do tech journalist (and other, I might add) bros overlook, to put it lightly, the academic work of women? While some women on this list have gotten quite a bit of press for their work, I do think that the "go to's" for quotes and attribution are mostly men....and there are a variety of structural, shall I say sociological, reasons for this, not the least of which is the online shaming that women get for bringing gender inequality up - i.e. when Meryl tweeted about this - the author responded that her point was "silly" and "ridiculous." This general topic/idea would make an excellent outlet for research, an ASA panel, blog series, etc. etc.

Thanks, Meryl!

J e n   S c h r a d i e,  P h D
Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Institute for Advanced Study in Toulouse
Web: www.schradie.com
E-mail: jen.schradie at iast.fr
Twitter: @schradie
Phone: +33 7 62 40 58 21

Check out my latest blog post: Competing Twitter hashtags reflect divided response to Paris attacks<https://medium.com/@schradie/competing-twitter-hashtags-reflect-divided-response-to-paris-attacks-f1da06869bc9#.ilywwy8p7><https://mobilizingideas.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/5-reasons-why-online-big-data-is-bad-data-for-researching-social-movements/> <https://medium.com/@schradie/from-french-resistance-to-hashtag-activism-4f2463cd3d97>