[CITASA] ?Please Read the Article?? Please Cite Women Academics.

CJ Pascoe cpascoe at uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 24 14:19:10 EST 2016

Hi all,

As a woman in an academic subfield focusing on issues of masculinity I’ve had way too much experience with gendered citation practices (as I’m sure many of us have): Reporters who write about masculinity want quotes from male scholars; male masculinity scholars cite other men (or themselves) in their networks; they refer media to other men in their networks etc etc etc...

Because my male collaborator and I saw way too much of this happening first hand (including with our own collaborative work), we ended up writing a blog post about some fairly easy things scholars who engage in cross-gender collaboration can do to promote women authors: https://thesocietypages.org/girlwpen/2016/02/03/herwork2-acknowledging-and-accounting-for-the-gender-recognition-gap/ <https://thesocietypages.org/girlwpen/2016/02/03/herwork2-acknowledging-and-accounting-for-the-gender-recognition-gap/>. We are always looking to add best practices to the list, so please feel free to send suggestions along.

Glad to see this convo happening on multiple lists today!

CJ

C.J. Pascoe
Associate Professor
Undergraduate Program Director