[CITAMS] New Ph.D. Program in Technology Management and Organization Studies at UC Santa Barbara

Paul Leonardi leonardi at tmp.ucsb.edu
Sun Nov 13 06:53:09 EST 2016

The University of California, Santa Barbara is pleased to announce the
launch of a new Ph.D. DEGREE in Technology Management. Applications are due
January 15, 2017 for matriculation in Fall 2017.

This new program is administered by UCSB¹s Technology Management Program
(located in UCSB¹s top-ranked College of Engineering), whose
internationally-renowned faculty include:

Steve Barley
Gary Hansen
Paul Leonardi
Kyle Lewis
John Mohr
Renee Rottner
Dave Seibold
Ambuj Singh
Bob York

Why Pursue a Ph.D. in Technology Management?
Scholars who study technology, innovation, and organizing are in great
demand across many fields including business, information studies,
communication, sociology and engineering. Yet most disciplinary-based
programs, be they in the social sciences or in engineering schools, do not
train Ph.D. students with the right mix of skills to understand both the
organizational and technological aspects of work. The Ph.D. Program in
Technology Management fills this void.

Is a Ph.D. in Technology Management the right fit for you?
We seek students who want to become exceptional scholars and who will go on
to research and teach at top universities across the country and around the
world.  You would fit our program well if you are interested in
technology-related work regardless of whether you have a background in the
social sciences, physical sciences, management or engineering.  Our program
integrates organizational studies with technology and innovation studies in
an interdisciplinary environment that transcends the distinctions between
disciplines.  If you come from a technology or scientific background we will
teach you about the importance of organizations and social systems.  If you
have a social science or management background you will learn to understand
the role of technology and innovation in shaping organizational action.

Where can our Ph.D. take you?
The job market for interdisciplinary Ph.Ds. with training in technology and
organizations is expected to be strong over the next decade. We anticipate
that most graduates will pursue academic positions in Business Schools
(where the study of technology innovation and entrepreneurship is growing),
Schools of Communication (where the study of organization and technology is
increasing swiftly), in Schools of Information (which are being rapidly
founded across the country), and in Schools of Engineering (that are
increasingly interested in the social aspects of technical work). Unlike the
demand for Ph.D. tenure track faculty in many other disciplines, the number
of tenure track openings in these schools exceeds the number of Ph.Ds.
awarded each year, and that gap is increasing.

Why UCSB?
UCSB is world renowned for its interdisciplinary culture, which encourages
collaboration across disciplinary boundaries and exciting new
interdisciplinary fields and programs. Our faculty
<https://tmp.ucsb.edu/faculty>  is world renowned for its commitment to
interdisciplinarity; we have backgrounds that range from engineering and
management to the social sciences.  Our Ph.D. students are encouraged to
explore courses and to make links to faculty in the social sciences,
environmental science, and other engineering departments.

The Technology Management Program is housed in the College of Engineering,
which ranked as number one in the world among public universities for
engineering research. The National Research Council ranks all of UCSB's
College of Engineering research programs among the top five for their
disciplines.

Learn more about this new Ph.D. Program here: https://tmp.ucsb.edu/phd
<https://tmp.ucsb.edu/phd>

For more information about the Ph.D. Program, please contact Paul Leonardi
(leonardi at tmp.ucsb.edu <mailto:leonardi at tmp.ucsb.edu> ) or Kyle Lewis
(klewis at tmp.ucsb.edu <mailto:klewis at tmp.ucsb.edu> )

Thank you for forwarding this announcement to prospective students.

Paul Leonardi
Duca Family Professor of Technology Management
Investment Group of Santa Barbara Founding Director, Master of Technology
Management (MTM) Program
University of California, Santa Barbara
+1.805.893.5414
leonardi at tmp.ucsb.edu