[CITAMS] Register Now: Oct 13/14 Freedom and Control of Digital Expression - Toulouse, France

Jen Schradie jen.schradie at iast.fr
Thu Sep 22 07:27:41 EDT 2016

***Please Share Widely

Dear Colleague,

My name is Jen Schradie. I am a sociologist at the Institute for Advanced Study in Toulouse (IAST). I am writing to you to invite you to attend our upcoming conference on Freedom and Control of Digital Expression October 13, 14 in Toulouse. Sandra Vera Zambrano (Sciences Po Toulouse - LASSP) and Nikos Smyrnaios (University of Toulouse - LERASS) and I are organizing this conference in conjunction with the Digital Chair of the Toulouse School of Economics. We organized this conference in the wake of the contested response to the attacks on Paris and the subsequent disputed meaning of #jesuischarlie, as well as both the suppression of and support for freedom of online expression. But the conference's aim is to interrogate these issues more broadly and worldwide in the context of how the state, civil society and markets shape digital speech.

We have a great lineup of speakers, as you can see in the attached flyer and program from a variety of social science disciplines. Registration and food are free, but we need your registration by September 30: http://www.iast.fr/conference/freedom-and-control-expression-digital-aftermath-2015-paris-attacks

Freedom and Control of Expression in the Digital Aftermath ...<http://www.iast.fr/conference/freedom-and-control-expression-digital-aftermath-2015-paris-attacks>
www.iast.fr
After the Charlie Hebdo newspaper offices were attacked in January 2015, debate and discussion flourished about freedom of expression, in France and abroad.

Warm regards,
Jen

J e n   S c h r a d i e,  P h D

Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Institute for Advanced Study in Toulouse
Web: www.schradie.com<http://www.schradie.com>
E-mail: jen.schradie at iast.fr<mailto:jen.schradie at iast.fr>
Twitter: @schradie
Phone: +33 7 62 40 58 21<tel:%2B33%207%2062%2040%2058%2021>
<https://medium.com/@schradie/competing-twitter-hashtags-reflect-divided-response-to-paris-attacks-f1da06869bc9#.ilywwy8p7>