[CITAMS] Faculty positions at the University of Denver's Department of Media, Film and Journalism Studies

Lynn Schofield Clark lynnschofieldclark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:57:28 EDT 2016

Below is the position announcement for two tenure track positions at the University of Denver. We begin reviewing applications on October 14, 2016, and we would love to have you consider joining us.  My colleagues and I willl be at AoIR and NCA this year so let me know if you’d like to meet to discuss these positions further.  Thank you!

Tenure Track Assistant Professor in University of Denver's Media, Film & Journalism Studies department (2 Positions)

Media, Film & Journalism Studies at the University of Denver seeks two candidates who will contribute to teaching in the department's growing majors in strategic communication and/or journalism studies and media studies with the ability to teach courses with a professional writing focus (where we prioritize advocacy, activism, and critical thinking) as well as courses with a media studies orientation focusing on race, inequalities, and/or social change. The search is open in terms of a researcher's methodology, theory, and/or practical or creative application. In one of these positions, primary teaching responsibilities will be in the Strategic Communication area.

Desired/preferred qualifications:

- Ability to teach professional courses in either journalism or public relations to cover needs in professional writing and/or digital/visual storytelling from multicultural perspectives.
- Ability to teach core courses in media/film theory with a race, inequality, and social change focus
- A research agenda dedicated to studies of media and race or ethnicity, inequalities, and/or social change is preferred.

Responsibilities include: maintaining active research and/or creative agenda, teaching theory, writing or production, and additional undergraduate and graduate classes in the department, advising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students. Community engaged research and/or public scholarship is a plus.

Minimum requirement is a Ph.D. or MFA in media studies, mass communication, public relations or strategic communication, or a related field by July 1, 2017.

Must have demonstrated knowledge and ability to work effectively with diverse populations.

The normal teaching load is 5 courses spread across 3 academic quarters in an academic year, prior to receipt of tenure.

We are especially interested in candidates who can bring a multicultural perspective and focus on issues of social inequality and race/ethnicity.

Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs <http://www.du.edu/jobs> to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. The position is expected to begin September 1, 2017.

Please include the following documents with your application:

Along with the cover letter, c.v., teaching and research/creative work statements, and a list of references, candidates are requested to include with their application materials a 3-5 page statement in which the candidate speaks about his/her experience with and commitment to inclusive excellence.

The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Lynn Schofield Clark, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Media, Film & Journalism Studies and
Director, Estlow International Center for Journalism & New Media
University of Denver
2490 S. Gaylord St
Denver CO 80210
New article:  <https://www.academia.edu/28310847/Participant_or_Zombie_Exploring_the_Limits_of_the_Participatory_Politics_Framework_through_a_Failed_Youth_Participatory_Action_Project>Participant or zombie? exploring the limits of the participatory politics framework through a failed YPAR project, <http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2016.1212619>  <http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2016.1212619>The Information Society 32(5): 343-353.