[CITAMS] Protecting Personal Data at the US Border

Glenn Muschert muschegw at miamioh.edu
Thu Aug 3 12:26:41 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

As many attending the ASA (including CITAMS) in Montreal are likely to
cross the U.S. border, I want to raise the following issue. Of course this
issue is also generally applicable to those who enter the U.S. at any time.

There have been reports of US Custom & Border Protection personnel
conducting unwarranted searches on digital devices (e.g., smart phones,
tablets, and laptops) in the possession of those entering the U.S.  Please
see the following report, for detail:
https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017.

How can a person protect their data at the U.S. border?  See the following
“Pocket Guide to Protecting Your Data,” which is useful to print and carry
along with one’s passport:
https://www.eff.org/document/eff-border-search-pocket-guide.  I also plan
to print copies and leave them around the conference venue.

For more detail than is likely to be needed, please also consult a long
report released in March by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, if anyone
is interested:
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/03/10/digital-privacy-border-2017-guide3.10.17.pdf.
Also, the EFF has a statement on Constitutional rights at the border:
https://www.eff.org/document/digital-privacy-us-border.

For now, I wish you all safe (and secure & private) travels to our
conference venue.  I’ll look forward to seeing you all next week.

Best regards,

Glenn Muschert

Glenn W. Muschert, Professor

Sociology and Social Justice Studies

Faculty Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies

Miami University (MSC 1118)

Oxford, Ohio 45056-1879 U.S.A.

Phone: +1-513-529-1812; Fax: +1-513-529-8525

Web: http://www.users.MiamiOH.edu/muschegw/
<http://www.users.miamioh.edu/muschegw/>

Twitter: @GlennMuschert