[CITAMS] Send us your wonderful students!

Cotten, Shelia cotten at msu.edu
Sun Nov 26 14:50:01 EST 2017

Hi. If you have students who are thinking about a PhD program and are interested in technology, tell them about our program. I’m particularly interested in students who are excited about studying the impacts of technology use, technology and health, and technology use across the life course. We have a great program! I’m happy to talk to any of your students as are my colleagues.

Please share with your students! Link to the PhD program: https://comartsci.msu.edu/academics/academic-departments/advertising-public-relations-journalism-media-information/graduate.

The Information and Media PhD program at Michigan State University seeks outstanding students who wish to join a unique interdisciplinary program of study at the intersection of the social sciences and technical systems. The faculty develop and apply research about media and society and evolving information and communication technologies to important problems.  The program engages students to become active scholars, teachers, and leaders in the media and information fields.

The PhD program is offered jointly by the Department of Advertising + Public Relations, the School of Journalism, and the Department of Media and Information, and gives students access to fifty PhD faculty with research interests that span important current and emerging issues in media and information studies. Students get involved early on in projects, complementing theoretical coursework with hands-on research experiences.

 Particularly strong research interests of our faculty include:

• Data Science

• Games and meaningful play

• Human-computer interaction

• ICT and health

• Information and Communication and Development (ICTD)

• Information policy and governance;

• Information Science and computer security

• Internet Studies, Digital policy issues,

• Information Systems;

• Management information systems

• Media effects on individuals and society

• Media, information and Internet policy

• Media psychology/racism/fandom/persuasion

• Narrative in Communication

• Online Communities

• Online misinformation / "fake" news / conspiracy theories, collective intelligence

•Social Justice

• Social media, social computing, and enterprise social networking

• Social Support

• Socio technical systems and collective intelligence

• Usability; New Media

Thanks!

Shelia