[CITAMS] book announcement

Lynn Schofield Clark lynnschofieldclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:56:32 EDT 2017

Hello colleagues,

I’m writing to let you know that a new book that Regina Marchi and I have written is out. It’s titled, Young People and the Future of News.  The book brings together evidence to support what we all know: that in a time of declining news industries, young people are informing one another through social media - for better or worse. We give attention to fake news and the roles that Facebook and other social media have played in its spread, calling for accountability from these organizations for their role in misinforming the public. We also focus on the experiences of marginalized US young people, including young people of color and those from new immigrant communities who are political newcomers. Because many we interviewed and worked with for this book are from communities long underserved and misrepresented by traditional news media, the book pays attention to those already skeptical of traditional commercial news industries and politics, even as many of them also express hope and are working for change. All of our young people deserve a better media system than we now have, we argue.

We wrote the book with our students and our classrooms in mind, so Cambridge U Press is making it available for less than $20. I’m glad to send you a pdf of the uncorrected proofs, particularly as I know that it can be difficult to obtain books from the US if you’re elsewhere in the world. We’re of course glad for any feedback and criticisms of the book, too, as we continue to think about the very important issues of how to engage students in discussions about the transformation of the news landscape, and what that means for the future of democratic governance.

The research of many on this list informed its writing, so this is a note to thank you deeply for your work, and also to ask that if you do read this book, please consider leaving a review on Amazon <https://www.amazon.com/Young-People-Future-News-Communication-ebook/dp/B074XDTQ5J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506601186&sr=8-1&keywords=young+people+future+of+news> (especially if you like it!). I’d be very glad to hear from you regarding suggestions and would also be delighted to learn of any of your grad students who are working in this area.

Lynn Schofield Clark, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Media, Film & Journalism Studies and
Director, Estlow International Center for Journalism and New Media
University of Denver
(pronouns: she/her/hers)
Author with Regina Marchi, Young People and the Future of News: Social Media and the Rise of Connective Journalism (Cambridge U Press, 2017)