[CITAMS] important matters about section ballot

Wenhong Chen wenhong.chen at austin.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 30 18:00:23 EDT 2018

Dear CITAMS Section Members,

We are writing regarding an issue with the section ballot.

Because of an error on the ballot, the four candidates for Council Members
were separated into two different races so the four candidates are not
within the same pool of candidates members can choose among. For example,
if someone wanted to vote for Recuber and Williams OR Chong and Ignatow,
they would not be able to because of the 1 vote limit for each race. To
ensure fairness and have all the candidates be voted on within the same
pool, the section, in consultation with ASA and our section council, has
decided to invalidate the votes for the two open Council Member positions
and hold a separate election for these positions in June. *More details
will come in the following weeks. *

ASA has informed us today that the vendor has removed the candidates’ names
and added the text “This race has been removed from the ballot. A special
election for this position will be held in June. Details will be sent from
section leadership.” Any votes already casted for Council Member candidates
will be not counted toward the final result of the special election in June.

*Meanwhile please vote for our chair candidates*

·       *Shelley Boulianne, MacEwan University*

·       *Anabel Quan-Haase, Western University *

*and our Nominations Committee candidates*

·       *Jeffrey Lane, Rutgers University*

·       *Julie B. Wiest, West Chester University of Pennsylvania*

*We are sorry about this situation and appreciate your understanding. *

Wenhong Chen (Chair) and Jeffery Boase (Nomination Committee Chair)

*Cheers,*

*Wenhong **文泓*

*Wenhong Chen,* PhD

Associate Professor of Media Studies and Sociology
Department of Radio-TV-Film | Moody College of Communication
The University of Texas at Austin

Chair, Communication, Information Technologies, and Media Sociology section
American Sociological Association

Office hour signup http://bit.ly/1xpHy1c
http://utexas.academia.edu/wenhongchen
New book: Networked China <http://www.routledge.com/9781138840027/>